We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

christmas family trip for 10

Nj
Level Contributor
222 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
christmas family trip for 10

Hi all! It has been 2 years since my trip to the BI and now I am planning a multi-generational trip for my family. Ages from elementary, middle and high school kids to seniors who love golf. Personally I am looking for great snorkeling and beach. SInce the MK (I think the perfect option) is closed and seems that it may be still closed Christmas 08-09, I tried to get everyone to agree on the Hapuna. Despite my best beach arguments, they did not like what they have read about the rooms, etc on this website. My old edition of Big Island Revealed was not that helpful.You all gave me such great advice (yes, Merriman's was my favorite meal) the last time, I was wondering what our decision should be between ML or Orchid?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: christmas family trip for 10

I would go with the The fairmont....because of a slightly better beach aspect. I agree that the Hapuna Prince was not a good choice...it is first and formost a asian golfers hotel.. and Hapuna in the winter is pretty rough.

For snorkeling you are going to have the best conditions south of kona that time of year and you will need to use a boat tour and many of the beaches get ripped of their sand and the Kohala coast can be under gale conditions for days........

Have you considered Kolea or the Vistas..... on a golf course, almost on the beach, and ocean tours.....

put the revealed book in the trash where it belongs... not suprised its advice was of little help in Hotel and Dining....not to mention activity/

Nj
Level Contributor
222 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: christmas family trip for 10

Hi Hawaiidan! Long time no "talk"--I hope you are doing well and still enjoying paradise. I had not considered Vistas or Kolea (did not know about them) but I had looked into homes by Mauna Kea. My group has a lot difficulty finding each element the 3 families desire.

I had not realized that the water would be so rough in late December/early January. Would the little ones be able to go in the ocean that time of year? Would we be better off not staying in the Kohala region? As always thank you for your help, Lisa

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: christmas family trip for 10

Aloha, Oh I miss the MK!!! It may (underline may) be open for Christmas of '08, it is their goal, but go know. Gosh there is no bad choice for you here between the ML and Orchid. The Orchid has a better beach, IMHO and the ML better snorkel. I like the cultural things offered at the ML and with the ages you are traveling with that might be a plus. Regardless, your choices are excellent ones and your trip will be fantastic.

Nj
Level Contributor
222 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: christmas family trip for 10

Thanks AlohaAdeline!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: christmas family trip for 10

the winter brings a northwest swell to the area and the pacific High shifts.. and the furtur north you go the worse the wind becomes Kona is always calm because of its 2 14,000 ft wind screens.... kohala has none......

.. I used to live up there but it got too windy for me.....Vistas and Kolea have 2 and 3 bed condos.... and are at a wind sheltered south face in the Resort....... Fairmont is more exposed as is the Hilton. A bay is always calm....... and a real kids beach.....Hapuna despite all the press....is not a kids beach.. in my opinion........it can really blow there..

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: christmas family trip for 10

We go to Kohala every January. Although it has more wind and waves than in summer, it clearly is not so bad that we have given up coming or go elsewhere! We just are prepared that we may not be able to go shore snorkleing on a given few days and go to Kona or on a boat.

We love Mauna Lani. Cick on my name and look for my review from last trip to see why. In any event, go snorkeling at the Mauna Lani boat house beach and go see the petrogplyphs over at teh park north of the Orchid.

Big Island Revealed's free website photos of the resorts is good, rest of the lodging advice is iffy in my opinion.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: christmas family trip for 10

the water certainly can be rough ... it also may not. You won't know how you're luck goes until you're here.

A-bay is the one safe bet, as Dan said.

There was one day I tried the beaches (this was March) where the beaches were officially closed from Mauna Kea to Mauna Lani, even the Beach Club, and everything else in Kohala, except for at Anaeho`omalu. It was almost flat and people were swimming.

Plus there is golf.

If the golf is too windy in Kohala, you might want to go south.

With such a large group, if budget is any object at all, one or two nice condos would surely be a better deal than three hotel rooms (4 person max occupancy) at high season rates. But if you want and need full service, then you want a hotel. Also you will have a hard time finding a Çhristmas dinner for 10 to eat out, unless you are staying at a hotel.

But-- you would have a kitchen.

Agreed -- forget about Big Island Revealed.

The TA reviews are more current and more diverse because they reflect a wide range of tastes, not just two reviewers.

Nj
Level Contributor
222 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: christmas family trip for 10

Thank you all for the great advice. I am sure none of our choices will be bad. Truthfully for me and the other snorkellers it sounds like we'll be driving. Even though I would rather stay in the condos some members of the group have nixed that idea and I do not want to spend my whole vacation personally trying to give them that resort hotel experience they want. You are all very nice to offer your advice. Thank you very much!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
394 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: christmas family trip for 10

have you thought about renting a house??? once we did that, we would never go back to a hotel!!!

Nj
Level Contributor
222 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: christmas family trip for 10

Thanks BebeGCG for that idea but we started there and the problem is we need a 5 bedroom and all of the ones we were interested in renting are going to be used by their owners over Christmas.