We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing on the Big Island

Ma.
Level Contributor
140 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing on the Big Island

Aloha! We will be visiting the Big Island for the first time, we are staying at the Fairmont Orchid. Just wondering where is the best place to surf? I'm not looking for big waves, I'm looking for Waikiki waves. Also, since we will be at the Orchid, how is it? Looking for quiet, romantic place to celebrate our Anniversary. Mahalo

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing on the Big Island

Aloha, I love the Fairmont Orchid and I am sure you will have a romantic time there. They actually offer surf lessons there as well as lots of other fun things! Have a great trip.

Texas
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing on the Big Island

We saw people surfing at Kahalu'u in Kona when we were there. You could snorkel and surf!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing on the Big Island

Ok... good news bad news

The beginner surf at Kahalulu is open and you can rent a board there. This is the best visitors surf spot and no conflicts

Other sites such as Banyan, Lyman, Pine Tree are the prime spots. BUT, these are locals only spots.....I mean this is where the locals are more than protective of their spot... outsiders can have problems and for the most part not fit in...... It is not uncommon for confrontations to happen between local surfers and those visiting the area.

There is a surf code here where you have to earn the right to surf a certain beach. and in what order you can catch a wave. Respect it please. If you go with a class the situation changes some what as you are with a local guy....... this wont work on your own.... no way.

There is little to no surf or beaches north of the Airport and your Hotel... and the hotels there lack both aspect and breaks..... nothing like Maui or Oahu

Dont consider surfing anywhere north of the Hilton , the entire north, eastern and southern coast all the way to Keauhou. not good

For your anniversary... there are lots of options at the fairmont a very upscale place with dining to match...... ot at Mauni Lani..... canoe house or Tommy Bahamas

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,552 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing on the Big Island

this is not the best of the islands for a surf vacation for beginning surfers but the Orchid should be lovely for your anniversary.

I think there's a tiny little surf break there because they showed it on "Celebrity Mole" a few years ago, filmed at the Orchid. This was was for absolute beginners looking to stand up ... I am not contradicting what Dan said as I doubt a real surfer would think much of it, but you might have some fun playing in it nonetheless.

Also Kahalu'u as suggested.

5. Re: Surfing on the Big Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 03, 2009