We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Kohala Forest Reserve

Northern California
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking Kohala Forest Reserve

We are looking to hike and see areas that we have not previously seen with prior day-hiking trips on the BI. We would love to hike up into the Kohala Forest Reserve during an upcoming trip to this September. Is there legal trail access for the general public outside of the Waimea into this area to see the upper end of Waipio Valley and Alakahi Falls, etc.? Thanks

2 replies to this topic
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Kohala Forest Reserve

Generally hiking in Reserve land requires permission and you may be where hunters are actively operating, which can be dangerous. I don't know anything specific about that area, more

Hilo. I'd start by contacting DLNR. There should also be info on the Reserve protocol that you can find with a web search.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Kohala Forest Reserve

There is no public access from the Waimea side onto Kohala Forest reserve land to the viewpoint for Alakahi, Waipio, etc. There is a locked gate and no trespassing signs to make the point. Hawaii Forest and Trail leads various Kohala Mountain hikes, but I'm not sure where they're going these days.

Reply to: Hiking Kohala Forest Reserve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted