We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place for 3 adults- stay at the Volcano?

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WISCONSIN
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best place for 3 adults- stay at the Volcano?

Best way to see the volcano -- stay in condos, or vacation house? Or in the park? Or travel back and forth from Hilo? hoping to go towards the end of the month. Mom, Grandma and 24 yr old.

Staying in Waikaloa timeshare for a week, then 2 days undetermined location when adult son arrives on 23rd. then 5 days at Castle Hilo Hawaiian, until 30th or sooner.

Son leaves Feb. 2, so we have to see Volcano between Jan.23rd and 2/2/07. He also would like to rent a surf board -- if there is any area that is better for less experienced surfer, or decent wave area where there are lessons? Nearby accommodations to that kind of beach area? We do not know the best area we could locate for a few days to let him have his surfing fix.

Our first time visit to Big Island, and just recently started reading these boards - but have to leave Sunday am early on 1/14/07, so trying to get a condensed idea of how to spend these weeks.

Any ideas I should consider?

Thanks,

Max in WI

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place for 3 adults- stay at the Volcano?

No condos at Volcano so you either stay at the Volcano House, a low quality hotel, or at a B&B. Are you sure you want to stay at the Castle Hilo Hawaiian for five days?! It's the worst hotel on the island, I wouldn't stay there for a single night!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place for 3 adults- stay at the Volcano?

If you have 5 days on Hilo side, you have enough time to get a vacation rental instead of the horrible hotel room. B&B's and vacation rentals are the way to go on the east side (IMHO).

He can watch the surfers at Honolii. I know there's someone doing surfing lessons at Honolii or Hilo Bay area because someone who stayed with us last year was taking them, but I didn't get the name.

In winter, could be that the swells are for experienced surfers only. I think this is the wrong time of year for novices to surf here (but I could be wrong).

A few vacation rental sites:

www.vrbo.com

http://www.vacationrental-hawaii.com

www,craigslist.org (honolulu, vacation rentals, big island)

WISCONSIN
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best place for 3 adults- stay at the Volcano?

Thanks for the replys.

My main concern was how to see volcano area the best.

If we should commute in each day from Hilo, or stay down at the Volcano area. And if so, which lodging places would be best.

Regarding Castle Hilo hotel, brother in law and wife have stayed there (last summer for $99/ OV)and she is very fussy about cleanliness and molds, with allergies. They strongly recommended it to us, as a good value. They know I like a budget place ok, but Grandma likes better accommodations, and they feel she would get along ok there. They had a fine entertainment rate, and I am leaving tomorrow, not enough time to research condos.

Still need to find something back in Kona for our last few days there, though. If i get internet, I'll keep checking here this week.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place for 3 adults- stay at the Volcano?

Staying in East Hawaii in winter is far different than in the summer. It just poured for 12 days straight. The mold problem is bad right now. I have not stayed at the Castle; I've stayed at Uncle Billy's and Naniloa, both of which had moldiness.

How to choose Volcano or Hilo?

Well, if your focus is the park, Volcano is closer.

Hilo has more restaurants and you can shop there, and it has other things to see besides the park. (I am done with the park after 4 hours myself, and then I'm bored in Volcano.)

If you want to be in warm tropical weather, be aware it's CHILLY in Volcano due to the altitude. One is sea level, the other in the mountains, what are you looking for?

Last but not least, there are the individual lodgings to choose from.

5. Re: best place for 3 adults- stay at the Volcano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 26, 2009