We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals in Hilo

scottsdale, az
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rentals in Hilo

I will be on NCL cruise and in Hilo for 1 day on September 5. Does any one have info on rental cars close to where the ship docks?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rentals in Hilo

I'm pretty sure you have to go to the airport (not far), unless you go with Harper's which is just down the road from the port. You should check with the cruise and see if shuttles go to the airport or whether you'll need to take a taxi. If you look up Hilo International Airport on mapquest or google maps or yahoo, you can see where the port is in relation to it.

The general public isn't allowed to drive into Hilo Port as it's a secure area, so it wouldn't be a good spot for a car rental agency!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rentals in Hilo

Harpers is the closest and has a van meet you at the dock for the short 1 mile trip all the rest are at the airport some 4 miles distant

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rentals in Hilo

Az-fly,

There are a bunch of companies (like discounthawaiicarrental.com) that will pick up passengers at the Harbor, but my recollection is no one has an office there. I recommend calling your desired rental car company directly for clarification on pick up at the harbor etc.

Good luck and happy travels!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rentals in Hilo

yes, I bet it's really simple. These companies rent to cruise passengers all the time and must have a system in place.

So I guess the cruise ship comes into a nonsecure dock rather than the port. I was wondering about that. The last time I had to enter into the Hilo port (to pick up a shipped car) -- the security was intense to say the least.

5. Re: Car Rentals in Hilo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 12, 2009