We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family suggestions

Virginia
Level Contributor
205 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
family suggestions

HI,

I have enjoyed reading your posts. I have finally booked our flight, car and cabin at the KMC for 3 nights Easter weekend. (am I crazy or what)

My question is suggestions of things to do in the Hilo area for when we arrive that are suitable for young children (7 and 6) and possibly a waterfall that they we could hike to easily.

We are mainly coming to enjoy the beauty and relax since we live in Oahu.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!!

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family suggestions

Hey Cuzz..

Your coming to Hilo......Why.....do you like watching container ships unload in the rain......... Go to Volcano with the kids and spend a few days exploring the park......not Hilo

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Gilbert
Level Contributor
952 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family suggestions

We had a 5 year old, 7 year old, and 8 month old there last March. We stayed in Waikoloa, but spent a day in Hilo. We took a Blue Hawaiian helicopter ride over the volcano (very cool), drove around downtown Hilo to see the Banyan Trees, and had lunch in town.

As far as waterfalls, we saw Rainbow Falls & Akaka Falls, both you could easily take your kids to. In fact, Rainbow Falls is pretty much right by the road - park your car and walk 50 ft or so. Akaka is a little bit farther of a walk, but not much. It's in a park and is easily accessable (and very pretty - well worth the stop!)

We also really enjoyed the Hawaii Botanical Gardens. We don't normally go for that type of thing, but once inside we were SO glad we did it! WE spent about an hour (maybe a bit longer) walking around the gorgeous park - every color flower you can imagine, plus some modest waterfalls and some very pretty coastline (the park goes up to the waterfront). It was surprisingly very enjoyable, and we took almost 100 photos just in that park with our digital camera. Easy paved trails for you to follow all the way through...

If you have time, drive up to the Wai'pio Valley lookout. It is very, very pretty - and makes for more amazing photos!

Hope that helps, have a great stay!

Mentioned in this post
Waikoloa
Waikoloa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Rainbow Falls
Rainbow Falls
3,074 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
kohala coast, hawaii
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family suggestions

Akaka Falls is utterly gorgeous and an easy walk through a golden bamboo forest..this is a bit outside of Hilo but not 2 far.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family suggestions

Agree with Mauna Kea Lady....also you will love the KMC. It is right inside the park. You will step out of your cabin and be seeing the volcano everyday.

They do guided tours for a really resonable price if you are interested in that.

If you plan on driving to the end of chain of craters in the evening to see the red lava take along flashlights and by all means get/bring some binoculars!

If you get tired of eating at KMC you might want to try the Volcano House (I would not recomend lunch there as the tour buses all line up for lunch). Eating dinner while overlooking the caldera of the volcano is a once in a lifetime experience and the food is not bad either.

Mentioned in this post
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
252 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Virginia
Level Contributor
205 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family suggestions

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. It has helped confirm the things I have planned.

Mahalo