We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilo lodging - B&B's

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tacoma, WA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hilo lodging - B&B's

We'll in in Hilo three nights (Arriving Sept 27) before heading over to rent a condo in Kohala/Waikoloa.

I have found a the following B&B's and was hoping for your opinions on which is the best:

The Inn at Kulaniapia Falls, The Bay House, Orchid B&B and Shipman. We were hoping to keep the cost at under $200.

I'd love somewhere that offers breakfast early since I know we'll be up early each morning and ready to head out and explore. We'd love an ocean view if possible since we won't have one in Waikoloa during our stay.

We'll be using the B&B as our base as we explore VNP, Hilo the east side (several waterfalls, Botanical Garden, possibly Waipio Valley) etc. I'd love your opinions of which of these fits those the best.

On a side note - is it better to visit the Waipio Valley while staying in Hilo or Kohala? :)

Mahalo!

Amy

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,596 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hilo lodging - B&B's

Which road is it? (sorry Iʻm too lazy to go look it up.)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hilo lodging - B&B's

We found the Bay House to be top notch. It has a great location, walking into Hilo, right on the bay - gorgeous views, truly. The property was very well maintained, the rooms all beautifully appointed and the breakfast was appealing and healthy - plenty of fruit, breads (ie banana, etc), egg, cereal, etc. All cold, but prepared as individual trays for you to add to and take to your private lanai to enjoy. I think the coffee supply was a bit iffy. If you like lots - let them know ahead of time.

We were able to see each of the rooms, as the first day we were there, we were the only ones and were shown around. Each one was gorgeous. We were impressed! We had chosen the Harbor Room and I think it has the best of everything for size, view (yes it did matter a bit!), lanai and appointments. Beautifully comfortable. The Bay room had the most immediate eye appeal. The Palm is probably the most charming, but the lanai is smaller and set into the side of the house just a bit - could actually be a bit more private? - but less view. Each had its strengths.

We appreciated the owner - helpful, welcoming, gave us as much privacy as we wanted.

I don't think the Bay House could let you down for short term accommodation. For a longer time, I would want to put my money into a condo. We easily went to Waipio from there. Also Volcano. Hope this helps!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,596 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hilo lodging - B&B's

Second that rec of the Bay House. They've been around some years, and honestly I have only heard from satisfied guests. The location is more convenient than Pauka'a for people who want to eat out and walk into town.

Hilo Bay at sunrise is gorgeous. I have a distant view of it. And at sunset it turns pink. Also there are whales in season. Pauka'a might have the edge for whales but I'm not sure.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,403 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hilo lodging - B&B's

Re: "For a longer time, I would want to put my money into a condo".... There are no condos to recommend on the east side. For longer stays there are several good vacation home rentals, several of which are detailed in the TQ on where to stay on the east side.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Hilo lodging - B&B's

Stayed at the Orchid Tree for two nights in May.

It was wonderful! Beautiful room, excellent location, delicious breakfast. Steve, the owner, gave us gteat suggestions and advice. Strongly recommend. Was our first-ever trip tp Hawaii.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Hilo lodging - B&B's

Stayed at the Orchid Tree for two nights in May.

It was wonderful! Beautiful room, excellent location, delicious breakfast. Steve, the owner, gave us gteat suggestions and advice. Strongly recommend. Was our first-ever trip tp Hawaii.

Tacoma, WA
Level Contributor
278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Hilo lodging - B&B's

Thank you for all the suggestions! We ended up picking the Bay House for our 3 nights on the east side. We are excited. :) I'll post a trip report when we return.

Amy

18. Re: Hilo lodging - B&B's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 06, 2014