We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long to allow to get from Volcano to Hilo airport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
how long to allow to get from Volcano to Hilo airport

We are staying in Volcano for 3 nights in October. We have a flight booked from Hilo to Honolulu at 8.50am on a Monday morning. I am not sure how long before departure we are expected to be at the airport but I have read that the drive should be around 45 minutes. Any advice on what time we should be leaving Volcano would be most appreciated.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how long to allow to get from Volcano to Hilo airport

Yes, 35-45 minutes is a reasonable estimate.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long to allow to get from Volcano to Hilo airport

Thank you for your reply SheaG. In addition to the 45 minute drive, how long before departure would you suggest we be at the airport.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long to allow to get from Volcano to Hilo airport

You should arrive 90 minutes beforehand for interisland flights.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how long to allow to get from Volcano to Hilo airport

The drive is normally 45 minutes, but with an ETA of 7:20 AM, that would put you in the morning commute, which can be extremely slow, worse if there is road work. I would have booked a later flight to avoid that, any chance you can?

Iʻd allow an hour for the drive, conservatively, during rush hour Monday morning. Try to check in on the web and print your boarding pass, as it makes things go faster. If you are not upstairs when they call for boarding, theyʻll give your seat away to standby. The boarding time will be printed on your boarding pass.

Also, the time for returning your car is not part of the 90 minutes, which is your actual arrival in the airport. So say 15 minutes for that, Iʻd leave maybe 6 AM. (Except I wouldnʻt, because Iʻd take a later flight.)

The inter-island flights from Hilo tend to be full planes, and they almost always depart on time, sometimes even departing before scheduled..

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,131 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how long to allow to get from Volcano to Hilo airport

Agree with KK"s suggestion to leave around 6 a.m.

We had an 8:20 a.m. inter island flight out of Hilo last month. We left Volcano at 5:30 a.m. Traffic wasn't a problem because it was Sunday, so a 45 minute drive for us. Stopped for gas in Hilo, DH dropped me and the luggage off, he returned the car, we checked in (we didn't have access to a printer, so went through that process at the airport) and then had well over an hour's wait time at the airport after going thru security. I had packed food to eat at the airport (options are very limited there) and we waited in the comfortable lounge area on the main level until it was time to head up to the boarding area.

6. Re: how long to allow to get from Volcano to Hilo airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 25, 2014