We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days on big island without a car

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
2 days on big island without a car

Hi,

I am going to Hilo in two weeks. I've been searching the TA forums for the past week and haven't found what I want.

So we are arriving by plane from Honolulu and are staying 2 full days in Hilo. We won't have a car, so we are looking for tours.

We absolutely want to see the volcano as close as possible and hike it. We also want to see a black sand beach, and the akaka and rainbow falls (budget: approx. 100 US$ per tour).

How could we fit these excursions (without seeing the same place twice) and which tours do you recommend?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Mauka Makai Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Big Island Aina Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,045 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days on big island without a car

You really need to get a car. A tour of VNP is possible but won't let you have enough flexibility to hike at your leisure. I don't know of any tours that cover all the places you want to see. It's all doable with a rental car though. What's the reason for no car?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days on big island without a car

You would need a custom tour/private tour in order to hike, and the prices for those smaller tours seem to start at about $170 per person. Would $100 be the total for both of you?

This is one custom tour company with lower pricing that has received positive comments, Mary Lou's Big Island Guided Tours. You have to contact them for pricing.

marylousbigislandguidedtours.com/About-Us.ht…

You really should rent a car.

I don't follow all the tours, but the excursions out of Hilo that cater to cruise ship patrons tend to either go north and do waterfalls and gardens, or they do VNP. Some go to lower Puna and Kalapana.

By the way, it is illegal for tours to take people to the Kaimu Black Sand beach at Kalapana, but some do it anyway.

Info on issue:

westhawaiitoday.com/sections/news/local-news…

You can drive there easily. It's a beach more for looking down on. Punalu'u is the best known and most beautiful black sand beach still existing, 40 minutes or so onward from VNP.

If you cannot drive, then you have to do what you can, but it will be a hardship not having a car, expensive, and you will not be able to see as much unless you plan on spending a LOT of money.

Mentioned in this post
Kalapana
Kalapana
Island of Hawaii, HI
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days on big island without a car

i am curious as the lenght of stay and why choose hilo? close to VNP?

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days on big island without a car

Rent a car and tour Hilo attractions on your own. You will see more and you can make choices based on the weather. Car rental is around $30 at discounthawaiicarrental.com. Hilo area is easy to navigate with light traffic. I have heard about the crazy prices tour operators charge. Buy the guide book Big Island Revealed and make the most of your time away from the crowds. Drive from Hilo to Volcano is 40 minutes. But if you want to see the lava flow it is not in the park. You drive out towards Pahoa about 40 minutes from hilo or volcano. A must see if the lava is flowing. Stay at a bed and breakfast on this side verses a hotel. Most B andB hosts will help you plan your touring. While in the Pahoa area you may want to check out the volcanically heated pool.

Mentioned in this post
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Pahoa
Pahoa
Island of Hawaii, HI
Alaska
Level Contributor
53 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days on big island without a car

You should rent a car youll have more flexibility and volacno Nat'l Park VNP is relly spread out.....

I didi the day tour a few years back and loved it but if youre going to be there for a couple I don't think you'll regret renting a car... definitely go to Kalapana to view the lava flow. I missed that on our tour and now im going back in March for the festival.... xing my fingers for festival tickets.

regardless what you do Im sure you will have fun.. oh an be sure to bring rain gear!!! Hilo rains more than Seattle

Mentioned in this post
Kalapana
Kalapana
Island of Hawaii, HI
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
6. Re: 2 days on big island without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 04, 2014