We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilo Lodging for One Night

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Topic
Hilo Lodging for One Night

We will be in the Kona area for several days, while my wife attends a conference, and then have 2 "free" nights before one last night in another part of Kona for our late morning flight to Portland. We'll likely leave Kona about mid-day the last day of the conference and thought of spending the first night in Hilo and the second in Volcano area (Kilauea Lodge), but I'm having a hard time finding someplace in Hilo less than $200 that doesn't have "dump" in at least a few Tripadvisor reviews. Thought of the Shipman House, but it costs over $220, plus tax.

Dolphin Bay looks so-so, even though it gets the best reviews on TA (which doesn't always indicate quality). Castle Hilo Hawaiian gets mixed reviews, though we could get a good price through the American Airlines Web site. Ocean view room (looks like in a newer part of the hotel) wold be $168 incl. tax, but it appears they charge for both Internet and porterage (with the latter added automatically). Plus it looks close to the airport. Hilo Seaside rate good through the Hawaiian Ailrines Web site, but it looks even more so-so, and even closer to the airport. Naniloa Volcanoes looked good on its Web site, especially with a renovated room such as ocean view, but the reviews are worse than for the Hilo Hawaiian.

Overall, the selection seems more limited and the prices higher than in Kona. We'd drive to Volcano that day but don't know what time we'll get to Hilo and don't want to rush and/or end up having to drive up in the dark. Suggestins?

Edited: 10:37 am, October 30, 2012
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hilo Lodging for One Night

Assuming you are coming via the Waimea and along Hamakua Coast, the Dolphin Bay is good if on a tight budget but you're only there 2 nights so splurge and go for the Shipman House for two nights will give you flexibility and make your island loop more simple and enjoyable.

From there you can back track to Hamakua Coast sites or lower Puna scenic drive or day trip to Volcano is super easy. The Shipman House B&B will give you a more authentic feel of Hawaii vs. one of those average tourist hotels along Hilo Bay. The Dolphin Bay will be O.K. if spending less is your goal.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,974 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hilo Lodging for One Night

Actually, there are night flights. The military flights are a fair share of the airport noise at Hilo, and some of their planes are heavy beasts and loud.

The loudest non-military plane takes off at night. That is the Fed Ex shipment, and it leaves just after midnight. MUCH louder than a Hawaiian Air flight. It used to wake me up over in Waiakea.

There are other B&B's than Shipman (which used to have a 1 night min). There's a range from low to high. Some are north of Hilo.

If driving back from Volcano, I'd say that Pauka'a is only five minutes out of town, and Onomea Bay is about 10-15. Past that makes for a longer dark rainy drive than what I like.

The drive from Volcano to Hilo is fine in terms of the actual road, but if one reads a recent local topic on it, there are a lot of highway flow issues due to the numerous subdivisions that have only one access and on intersections without signals. So you have to watch for cross traffic and for people turning suddenly without signaling. Plus the drivers who want to go 55 and up in a 45 zone who will be on your bumper all the way down the hill.

The road itself is straight enough and is nothing like coming down from the Saddle, which is much more unpleasant at night.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hilo Lodging for One Night

Yikes! Thanks for that update on Hilo airport traffic! I've always noticed them (loud and low!) during the day and never at night . . . but I wouldn't think that a few miles one way or the other in terms of distance from the airport would make any difference, would you? It's more about whether you are in the pathway or not . . .

I'm still not sure why the original poster was mentioning distance from the airport as a criteria, though.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hilo Lodging for One Night

Yes, I was concerned about aircraft noise. Jut one factor, not a deciding one.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. Hoping to hit the Lyman Museum, at the least,while in Hilo.

No re Hilo, but still on Big Island: when we're at the Fairmont Orchid, my wife will get a continental breakfast each morning, but I'll be on my own, and I assume the hotel restaurant will be expensive, so hopingI don't have to drive all the way to Kona, or even just the airport, to gt a less expensive meal.

Edited: 10:36 am, October 31, 2012
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,963 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hilo Lodging for One Night

There's nothing between South Kohala and the airport, except the Four Seasons.

The Fairmont does have a place to get light breakfast, coffee, deli type foods. Also in the Shops next door there is a juice/smoothie place, a coffee bar, and the Foodland Farms which has a small deli and pastry selection.

Also there are plenty of inexpensive places around South Kohala, the best are in Waimea, about 20 minutes away from the Fairmont. Hawaiian Style Cafe for breakfast, Pau, Big Island Brewhaus, Charley's Thai, Village Burger for lunch.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hilo Lodging for One Night

Thanks for the tips.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Hilo Lodging for One Night

Hi Sutter...regarding breakfast at the Fairmont. We just spent 5 days there in Sept. There is Brown's Deli right behind the restuarant, which is great for breakfast, sandwiches and snacks. They serve good coffee, yogurt, cereal, breakfast sandwiches, juice, about anything one could want for a nice breakfast or snack and at very reasonable prices for the resorts in the area. You can take it with you or sit at the tables next to the deli or pool area. It's a good alternative to getting in your car and driving somewhere if you want that lazy type of start in the mornings, like we tend to enjoy!

18. Re: Hilo Lodging for One Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 15, 2013