We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilo Two nights for family of 5

Melbourne
Level Contributor
385 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hilo Two nights for family of 5

We are currently finalising our plans for our holiday and think we will need two nights in Hilo as there are so many things to see on that side. Dolphin Bay Hotel has a two bedroom apartment - has anyone seen that one? Any other suggestions that will fit a family of 5. I did have a bit of a look on VRBO but the few I looked at in town seemed either too small or had a three day booking limit. We were also looking at staying in Volcano but think Hilo is more central for the things we want to see. The accommodation in Hilo does not seem to rate too highly but perhaps someone can enlighten me. Many thanks.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilo Two nights for family of 5

Actually 3 nights is better and will allow you to do everything including Captain Cook sites on your way south, one full day at VNP, one afternoon doing lower Puna sites, then one full day for Hamaukua Coast sites on your way back around (or reverse that direction as desired). An added night allows for more flexibility in case weather in Volcano is bad (as usual).

Kind of depends on you trip plans. If heading south from Captain Cook to get to Volcano then 3 nights there can work. But always way cooler at night up there. If heading to Hilo via Hamakua Coast then yes Hilo will be more central.

Dolphin Bay Hotel is just fine for a budget place. Read the reviews on here for Dolphin Bay to get a good idea of the down sides but you have to be skilled at looking at legitimate complaints vs. being picky.

One of the big down sides fo Dolphin Bay is the Coqui frogs in the under growth can be very loud if not used to them w/ your windows open. If you have a larger budget and want to be more comfortable then look at the Shipman House will probably be better. If looking in the Volcano area the Deck House at My Island B&B would be a good budget choice.

California
Level Contributor
914 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilo Two nights for family of 5

We've stayed at the Dolphin Bay Hotel twice in the last five years and liked it very much. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the fresh pastries and fruit in the morning are delicious, as is the fresh coffee, and those Coqui frogs didn't bother us at all. I like the sounds of nature, as opposed to traffic sounds. There is an interesting rainforest walk just below the hotel, which is part of the property.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
385 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilo Two nights for family of 5

Thanks for your replies, I don't think the Coqui frogs will bother us, in fact I'm sure the kids will love them They are into all things reptilian. Can you see them or just hear them?

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilo Two nights for family of 5

With five family members, it sounds like space will be of the uttermost importance! I'm not sure how close this is to town for shopping, sightseeing, etc., but it does have a nice pool, and is a waterfront location if that is something that would interest your gang.

www.homeaway.com.au/holiday-rental/p276447

There are a lot more options on the site that will accommodate five people if that one doesn't do it for you.

I hope this site helps, and that you and your family have a terrific time!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,856 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilo Two nights for family of 5

Bessa - you can see the frogs, but they are quite small. google them. :)

California
Level Contributor
914 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilo Two nights for family of 5

Wow, Robert O, that house looks spectacular and only $250/night. I'd love to bring three other couples and stay there a whole week at that price.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilo Two nights for family of 5

That is one way to do it! lol Did I mention that it had a spa as well?

It would be nice if there was a way previous occupiers could leave a review right on the property page.......I guess it is a possibility that the owner of the place could send you some of their reviews if there were indeed some?

Anyway, it looks like a fun place. Aloha!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilo Two nights for family of 5

This house is in Pauka'a, which is about two miles north of the north end of Hilo town (4 mile marker, miles start at Ken's Pancakes). It's about five minutes out of town. The area is a well settled old neighborhood. Excellent price for the area.

The house furnishings look like they really are for a home, as if the people moved out and changed it into a rental. It is rare to see so many knick knacks in a rental.

The two night minimum for a house rental is also a rarity. It looks like they have been forced to drop prices and minimums due to the recession.

I didn't post to this topic because I couldn't think of anything with a two night or less minimum that would sleep the whole family. Most B&B's that would mean two rooms.

There are nice vaca rentals around Hilo; it's the short stay that makes the request difficult. Usually there is a cleaning fee, and while it is fine for 5-7 days, it drives a 2-night rental way up.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
385 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilo Two nights for family of 5

Wow, that house looks great - thanks Robert O. I haven't looked at that site yet. We are still trying to finalise our plans and was thinking perhaps one night in Hilo so we can go up to the Visitors Information Centre and do some star gazing and then two nights in Volcano before driving down the South Coast to Kona. Perhaps this house would do for all three.

Thanks again everyone!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilo Two nights for family of 5

The drive back to Hilo from the VIS pm Mauna Kea is dangerous in the dark. I recommend if you need to do this drive that you return to Kona side, where you won't run into nasty weather on the way down.

The other night I drove just the part from the intersection of the MK Access Rd and the Saddle down into Hilo and north, and it was white knuckle. And I know the road really well, you don't know it at all.