We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What else fits in one-day trip along with helicopter tour

Honolulu, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Topic
What else fits in one-day trip along with helicopter tour

Aloha!

I am taking my mother to the Big Island for a day trip from Honolulu. She cannot walk much due to arthritis so I am going to take her on a Deluxe Volcano & Coastline Safari Helicopter Tour.

I am looking for suggestions on other activities we can do on Hilo that day. Haven't booked the tour yet, so we can do it in the AM or PM (thoughts on this? will we even enjoy the waterfalls and coastline if we go in the PM?)

Are there other cheap/short driving tours anyone knows about? We can also rent a car and drive around if there are some cool & accessible places for sight seeing.

Thanks so much!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What else fits in one-day trip along with helicopter tour

A very nice gift!

You definitely want a car, as there's lots to see just driving and it will be good for a less mobile person.

I would recommend Liliu'okalani Gardens, which has parking all around the perimeter. It's a lovely spot if weather is fine.

Maybe Cafe Pesto on the Bayfront for lunch and stroll around adjacent shopping.

You can drive up to VNP in 45 minutes, ten bucks a car, and all the lookouts around the crater are easily accessible without walking, as is the visitors center.

Another place of interest for astronomy lovers with interest in Polynesian culture is Imiloa, which also has a cafe with both menu and buffet.

Hilo has a tsunami museum, and the Lyman museum documents missionary settler life in Hawaii.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,573 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What else fits in one-day trip along with helicopter tour

Book the early heli flight,usualy less cloud cover and better views and do rent a car to explore after until your flight back. She doesn't have to walk a lot to see many amazing things...the botanical gardens offer golf carts to shuttle folks up and down the hill! It is breath taking!

Honolulu, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What else fits in one-day trip along with helicopter tour

Thank you Kamaaina and mamma! This is very helpful and I'm excited she will get to do and see more than the flight tour!!

4. Re: What else fits in one-day trip along with helicopter tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 12, 2013