We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilo versus Volcano Park

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hilo versus Volcano Park

We are heading to the big island in Oct 2012. After a couple of days in Kailua-Kona, we are thinking about staying 2 nights in volcano park versus one night in Volcano park and then one night in Hilo. Are there any must see highlights in Hilo or should we just spend the extra night in volcano park?

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
LA
Level Contributor
11,016 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilo versus Volcano Park

It's the town of Volcano. Not Volcano park.

Mentioned in this post
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,045 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilo versus Volcano Park

Well, I'd add that two days on the west side and two or three days on the east side is nowhere near enough time for the Big Island. You really need at least 8-10 days to cover both sides of the island, and the majority of that should generally be allocated to the west side. On the west side, I prefer the Kohala Coast to Kailua Kona for better weather, access to beaches, and better accomodations.

With regard to your east side stay, there's really no reason to stay in both Volcano and HIlo . They're just about 45 minutes apart. You can base in one or the other and visit each one as a day trip, depending on your interests. Volcano has a lot of very good lodging options and if your primary interest is in VNP, particularly if you're hikers, that's where I would base.

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Volcano
Volcano
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,045 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilo versus Volcano Park

I also note from your Kauai forum post that you're planning to come in October. You will want to be aware of the Ironman in Kona on October 13, and plan around that. Also, it sounds like you're only planning six nights on Kauai and are thinking about 4 or 5 nights on the Big Island? I wouldn't do that. With 10-11 nights you can do two islands, but I would go with Maui and Kauai, or consider spending the whole time on the Big Island. If VNP is really a must do, then I'd skip Kona altogether and just stay on Kauai and come over to VNP for 2-3 nights.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,607 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilo versus Volcano Park

I agree with Shea on every point.

If you can rethink this a little it would be for the best.

Don't change to a third lodging on this island, complete waste of time and energy.

5. Re: Hilo versus Volcano Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 05, 2013