We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended restaurants?

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,225 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended restaurants?

I'm not finding anything with my searches. Looking for restaurants in Hilo - nothing fancy, just late lunch/early dinner on Merrie Monarch nights.

Any restaurants that merit being skipped?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,975 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended restaurants?

I'm kind of meh on Hilo restaurants but Hilo Bay Cafe is pretty good. Consider Pahoa as well, Paolo's is good (but not the minestrone).

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,947 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended restaurants?

Let's see - not lots that really stood out and I know restaurants come/go. We did have a great lunch at Aloha Luigi's - I had this ahi cesaer wrap that filled me up for an entire day - and it was delicious! Some burger place right in downtown that actually had a pretty good selection and service, though I don't usually eat burgers. We didn't care for the pizza place that was downtown . . . and out of Hilo towards VNP was a restaurant at the Koa wood shop . . . blanking on the name, but had some excellent soup there. Have fun pzp - I think the Merrie Monarch sounds like wonderful fun! :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,984 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended restaurants?

That is Dan De Luz Woods gift shop a bit past Mountainview Village turnoff (on the Kurtistown side, on left heading into Hilo).

Hilo Bay Cafe not at its best when crowded, which I would expect.

I like Sombat's Thai right near the stadium, by Ken's. Reservation a must as only half a dozen tables.

Cafe Pesto is the nicest ambience in Hilo, historic building, high ceilings, real dining chairs and tables, art on the walls, dinner music. Also it is open in late afternoon, although both Pesto and HBC have a limited menu between lunch and dinner.

Full Moon Cafe in old downtown. American and Thai. Nice ambience. Small.

Do you like Japanese food? We have it authentic and inexpensive.

Kiawe Kitchen in Volcano Village.

Edited: 11:50 pm, April 04, 2012
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,975 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended restaurants?

Kiawe Kitchen is really good. Worth dealing with the lack of staff and long waits if you plan ahead.

I've had several very mediocre meals at Cafe Pesto and I'm over it.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,984 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended restaurants?

Cafe Pesto in Hilo? Because I don't like the one in Kawaihae, but I do the CP in Hilo.

The entrees at CP are hit and miss, but I like it a lot for a good blue Caesar and their soups of the day are really good, and their bread is fresh baked, and desserts are good ... the atmosphere in Hilo is what I like.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,975 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended restaurants?

Yeah, the one in Hilo. I've been trying to alternate between Cafe Pesto and HBC when we have court there, but Cafe Pesto has not been good for several months.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,225 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended restaurants?

Japanese is good.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended restaurants?

Have lunch at the Puka Puka Kitchen right on the bayfront, 2-3 blocks North of the farmers market. I wouldn't miss that place when I'm in Hilo! (The Lamb Pita is to die for!)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,984 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended restaurants?

Thanks, Shea. Maybe it's gone down. I only order what I know is good there.

I won't go back to Hilo Bay Cafe. Tables are too close together and I've had some disasters there, including salad full of dirt and medium hamburger literally swimming in blood, no condiments brought until food was cold, terrible table locations, snotty servers with attitude -- and it's in a strip mall.

Maybe bad luck but I gave it lots of chances.

Edited: 2:32 am, April 05, 2012
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,225 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended restaurants?

Mahalos to all. Much appreciated.