We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing into Hilo, Hawaii

Street, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sailing into Hilo, Hawaii

Looking for suggestions for a day here? food, transportation, beach? What shouldn't I miss?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing into Hilo, Hawaii

Are you actually sailing in or are you on a cruise ship?

If on a cruise ship, the one day itinerary has been posted here many times, just take a look around at existing topics first if you would.

Also check out www.cruisecritic.com

For finding topics with the search function, try "one day" in the Island of Hawai'i forum (this will get you more hits than the Hilo forum).

Hilo is not a beach town, so that tells me you would benefit from reading about Hilo and East Hawaii. Guide book or just find a web write-up, tons of them around.

Street, Maryland
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing into Hilo, Hawaii

On a cruise ship.. stopping in port for the day..

I will look around.. thanks

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing into Hilo, Hawaii

Once you get the lay of the land and have your list of what appeals to you, please post further questions ...

There are others here who have the energy to list all the stuff to do and see in Hilo for each new query, but I just do not have the energy to do fresh write-ups each time when the forum is full of that information. I don't mean to discourage you at all ... I like to answer when the question is specific and really needs a personal reply.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing into Hilo, Hawaii

By the time you disembark and by the time you have to be back on the ship, that "a day here" will turn into "half a day here" which is not enough even to scratch the surface. Decide what's important for you and go for it. (Beach shouldn't be on the list.)

Hamakua
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sailing into Hilo, Hawaii

The cruise ships come into the commercial area of the port so walking to Hilo town itself is sort of long and dreary. There are some places which will come pick you up and take you on a tour of the volcano or hiking tours of Waipio valley or some such. A short taxi ride to the Hilo Farmer's Market would put you in walking distance of a lot of the interesting little shops along the bayfront. There's also a nice walking park over near the hotels, Queen Liloukalani park.

6. Re: Sailing into Hilo, Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, June 17, 2013