We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A two Week Trip to Hawaii

maryland
Level Contributor
390 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
A two Week Trip to Hawaii

Hello Everyone,

We are thinking of traveling to Hawaii in August with my husband and two kids ( 9 and 5yrold). We are interested in exploring the Big Island ( the east and west side) as well as going to Kauii. We enjoy hiking, rainforests etc...as well as the beaches. Could you please guide us as to where to start our reserach. A little guidance as to what our itinerary will be could be helpful as well.

We are coming from Washington DC.

Regards,

SAQ

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A two Week Trip to Hawaii

We like the Hawaii for Dummies travel guide. It has all the islands in it and will give you a decent idea of your options. Get some maps like from AAA. No substitute for a good map. Start reading the Big Island and the Kauai Forums faithfully.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
395 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,900 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A two Week Trip to Hawaii

If you have already decided on those 2 islands, I would post on those specific island forums - the Island of Hawaii where you are now, though you are in a subforum for Hilo and then on the Kauai forum. I think I would do the Big island first and then Kauai . . . stay on the northshore of Kauai during the summer. You will find good help on both forums - have fun! These are my 2 most favorite islands. :)

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
395 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,576 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A two Week Trip to Hawaii

The Big Island and Kauai are a great combo, as they complement each other well. Assuming 13 nights, I'd split them 6 nights Kauai, 2 nights Volcano (fly into Hilo), and 5 nights on the Kohala coast (fly out of Kona). I agree with staying on the north shore of Kauai the entire time you're there.

There are many itinerary ideas in posts here, so go through them as well as the Top Questions for both the Big Island and Kauai forums. Then when you have a more specific plan, post your questions, nightly accommodation budget, and primary interests and vacation style on both forums for more detailed advice. Happy Planning!

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
maryland
Level Contributor
390 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A two Week Trip to Hawaii

Thank you, will do and post questions.

5. Re: A two Week Trip to Hawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, February 05, 2013