We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

Wausau, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Topic
Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

Hello everyone,

My wife and I will travel to the Big Island on February 10th.

We will be staying somewhere close to Volcano, but we want to travel around part of the 10 days we're there, go to the beach on the west side, some off-road trips.

We are looking into renting a vehicle, and from what I have been reading, a 4x4 is a must/recommended.

Does anyone have any suggestions, is there anything that we could use to get a better deal, or the only option is to just go with one of the big companies, like hertz, Avis, etc...?

Thanks for any input.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

No, you don't need a 4X4 here at all, especially since the rent-a-car companies don't allow you to take their cars off the paved road anyway, but you better get your car now, and I mean NOW!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,970 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

You just need a regular car, and the majors are what there is. For discounts, other than promotions by the agencies, people use Costco, Hotwire, Priceline, and Discount Hawaii Car Rental. Costco uses Alamo, and the others draw from the options offered by the various agencies to get you the best price.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

You are very late in looking for a car. During busy seasons like this, the island is known to run out of cars, and Valentine's Day is a huge time along with President's Day, Ski Weeks, and general winter getaway time. So do listen to TT and reserve something ASAP.

Wausau, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

Thanks guys, i went ahead and made a reservation.

@ Kamaainak, thank you for http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/, it was Half the price the companies advertise directly on their website, or Priceline.

Now I'm going to get back to reading some more "Hawaii, The Big Island Revealed',and try to finish an itinerary!. So many things to do/see, so little time!

Thanks for your time!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,124 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

Bear in mind the Revealed book for the BI contains some very bad advice, including advocating off-roading and hiking on private property (trespassing). In addition I find much of their advice and descriptions flat out wrong or not seasonally adjusted, and their attitude not appropriate for the islands. The books are very controversial for a reason. Residents don't appreciate the series for the above listed reasons so if you insist on bringing it here, you shouldn't flash it around.

I like the Lonely Planet BI guide.

Have a good trip, and feel free to post your draft itinerary when you have it and we'll help you sort through it.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

Congrats on the last minute trip ...and getting a car without paying a King's ransom at this late date.

A 10 night visit should do nicely....Where are you staying on the West side?

Wausau, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

Thanks!

LOL, I am still deciding where to stay on the west side...I looked at some places, they want at least 5-6 days rental. We plan on staying 3 nights , then go to the east side, forest/mountain side.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,124 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

The east side isn't the forest/mountain side exactly. The north and west side actually have more mountains. :-)

Most people advocate spending longer on the west side, there's generally more to do depending on your interests, and the weather is better.

Wausau, Wisconsin
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

Yes, you are correct...Not quite on the east side...

We'll be staying pretty close to Volcano National Park, in a tree house.

http://volcanotreehouse.net/

My wife is interested in the sand and beach, so we decided on 3 days on the west side.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,063 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

What an interesting looking place !.....Here is one I noticed a couple of days ago that might also interest you..... http://www.vrbo.com/233432 It is closer to the west side of the island than Volcano, has ocean views and unique style, down side is the 4 night minimum stay.......

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,124 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in Hilo (Big Island)

Mombear, did you actually go down to Ka Lae? I can't recommend anyone stay there even overnight, let alone four.

There's much more to the west side than beaches. Basically all of your ocean activities will be accessed from the west and northwest as well as the valleys (Pololu, Waipio). Paniolo country, several heiaus, fishponds, whale watching (in season), manta ray dive and snorkel, all west. It deserves, IMO, more time, but only, of course, if those things sound appealing.