We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe parking

california
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
safe parking

I understand it can be risky to park with luggage in your car but going from town to town some times you must. I would possibly like to visit hawaii tropical botanical gardens,akaka falls, umauma falls, rainbow falls, kapoho tide pools, ahalanui warm spring, wai'ale falls and kolekole beach park. Which have safe parking, if any?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe parking

Akaka Falls is safe since it became a $5 entry place. Rainbow Falls, Kapoho Tide Pools and the Hot Pond are probably the riskiest of all.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safe parking

There is no fail safe approach to traveling with luggage. I'm a firm believer that if you keep everything in a trunk out of sight then you help reduce your risk. I also believe that when you get to a parking area never ever open the trunk revealing anything stored in the trunk.

I have been robbed from cars before, but in Dallas, Dayton and A mall in the Midwest. All break-ins were when I was much younger and probably less careful.

Again, you are right about times when you need to travel with luggage. Life is full of risk and all we can do is minimize our exposure.

Stay safe and enjoy Hawaii.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe parking

There is no way I would tour lower Puna with luggage anywhere in my car, but I most definitely would not park at the hot pond. I wouldn't swim there either, so I'd skip it.

The Kapoho tidepools parking is very limited and you might have to park in the overflow parking. There are a lot of people around either way, more people watching near the actual pools. I wouldn't do it, but it's not near as dicey as the hot pond.

Wai'ale has a flash flood risk, and Kolekole has lepto in the stream water, so be educated. Is this a Big Island Revealed itinerary?

Kolekole is really busy with locals on weekends, and visitors might feel out of place. You can't swim in the ocean there. I have seen shady characters there when it's quiet, but you can probably see your car anywhere you go there, which is pretty much true of Rainbow Falls as well. Botanical Gardens has its own parking lot by the gift shop. Not a secure lot, but not somewhere that riff-raff can hang out either.

Be sure not to do this at Kehena. Very bad rep with cars. Ditto with Lava Tree. I know they're not on your list, but they're on your route, so wanted to mention them.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe parking

Firstly when you leave sight of the car all of your valuables such as meds, phone, camera, net book go in a day pack with you. Never ever leave your car keys unattended by a towel at the beach or hot ponds.

In your car is your hidden luggage w/ the dirty laundry in it. Don't bring your Gucci luggage suite cause if it doesn't get stolen it will get lost in the airport. Basically when you leave stuff in the car it should be stuff you arent' that attached to and the rest of the trip you won't be worried about it.

Use the same precautions you would use if going to the shopping mall in a major city. You wouldn't leave a bunch of valuable stuff in the car that long?

Kind of like when they broke into my van at home.....they didn't take any of my camping pots and pans and nothing else much of value to a thief. However, the broken passenger window was extremely annoying but thankfully I had full glass coverage (no deductible) at a very small policy upgrade.

You have to minimize the stuff you bring and check w/ your insurance agent before leaving town. If you have rental car coverage and glass breakage added to your personal coverage you are good to go except for your deductible and sometimes one of your major credit cards will cover that.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safe parking

I am assuming this is the day you are leaving which is why you have everything. Hopefully you are renting a car with a trunk you can lock up.

I agree with TT that Akaka Falls is the safest one. I am also with KK that lower Puna with luggage is a no-no.

Some lodging will keep your luggage for you after you check out or take it for you prior to checking in. Always look into this if you can.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safe parking

Long time no see AA, welcome back!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safe parking

Adeline! Missed you!

8. Re: safe parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 09, 2012