We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilo over Thanksgiving

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Hilo over Thanksgiving

We are going to visit our daughter over the thanksgiving holiday and were wondering if there is anything special going on in town that weekend. My husband would like to get out and play some golf and we are always looking for great places to eat. Any suggestions?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilo over Thanksgiving

Hilo is a working man's town and Thanksgiving is a family holiday, so I doubt there will be anything "special" going on. The municipal course is the only golf course in Hilo, though you can drive an hour to Volcano or Waimea, both have a golf course. I don't know what restaurants will be open during Thanksgiving in Hilo, but the town is not known for good restaurants.

PS. Don't kill the messenger! :):):)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,963 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilo over Thanksgiving

Are you looking to eat Thanksgiving dinner out? If so, there won't be much open, and it's very late to make reservations.

Cafe Pesto is one option.

"Great" doesn't exist.

Most of the better food is Asian cuisine of some variety (not very Turkey day).

I would suggest you start calling and find out what is open. Sorry, but no one has asked this up to now, and I'm not eating out, so I haven't looked into it. I've eaten out on TG on island before, but it was at the Mauna Lani on the west side.

Forecast for right now says partly sunny Thursday and Friday, so golf may be an option. I would suggest reserving a tee time if the Muni course allows that. Another option is drive to the west side and play in the sunshine at one of the courses there.

If you google Big Island golf courses you will find pages that list everything about courses on the island.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,963 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilo over Thanksgiving

EVENTS

Volcano Village

A CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION WITH THE BROTHERS CAZIMERO

Hawaii Island

Kilauea Theater

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

HNP, HI 96785

www.volcanoartcenter.org

Dates

November 26, 2011 7:00pm - 9:00pm

Description

The Brothers Cazimero are consummate performers who have made their indelible imprint on the face of contemporary Hawaiian music.

for the past 30 years. Sure to be yet another great performance by the talented pair.

Contact Info

(808) 967-8222

Kilauea Theater

HNP, HI 96785

CHRISTMAS IN THE COUNTRY

Hawaii Island

Volcano Art Center Gallery

HNP, HI 96718

www.volcanoartcenter.org

Dates

November 19, 2011 to November 27, 2011 9:00am - 5:00pm, Weekly on Saturday, Sunday

Description

Special holiday celebrations include art demonstrations and print and book signing by gallery artists, plus handcrafted decorations and gifts offered only during the holiday season. Free; park entrance fees apply

ANNUAL INVITATIONAL WREATH EXHIBIT

Hawaii Island

Volcano Art Center Gallery

HNP, HI 96718

www.volcanoartcenter.org

Dates

November 19, 2011 to January 02, 2012 9:00am - 5:00pm, Daily

Description

Gallery artists -working in a wide variety of media, materials, and techniques - present a creative and unique collection of one-of-a-kind wreaths, from the whimsical to the traditional!

November 25-27, 2011

VOLCANO VILLAGE ARTISTS HUI ANNUAL ART STUDIO TOUR & SALE

Over Thanksgiving weekend, members of the Volcano Village Artists Hui will host their 24th annual Art Studio Tour & Sale. Visitors are invited to meet the artists in their studios and see artworks in a variety of media. Pottery, hand blown art glass, sculpture and fiber art, as well as photographs, paintings, and block prints will be on display and available for purchase.

Maps to the artists' studios will be available at local businesses & galleries in Volcano Village and at www.VolcanoVillageArtistsHui.com. Time: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM at eight Artists' Studios in Volcano Village. For more information, call 987-3472, email eherb@hawaii.rr.com or visit or visit www.VolcanoVillageArtistsHui.com

HILO

http://www.konaweb.com/calendar/#NOV

November 25 & 26, 2011

9th ANNUAL HILO CHRISTMAS CRAFT FAIR

Featuring arts, crafts, and holiday gifts made By local Hawaii Island residents. Where: Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium - 350 Kalanikoa St, Hilo, HI 96720. Time: from 9am-3pm; $1Admission Fee to support the Waiakea Lions Club. Hawaii Island Food Basket will also be accepting donations and canned goods. Hosted by Hilo Ben Franklin Crafts. For more information, call 935-0005, email info@benfranklinhawaii.com or visit bfcraftclub.com/events/9th-annual-hilo-bfc-c…

ROLLER DERBY

Hawaii Island

Afook Chinen Civic Auditorium

799 Piilani St.

Hilo, HI 96720

www.paradiserollergirls.com

Dates

November 26, 2011 7:00pm

Description

The Big Island ladies of roller derby aka the Paradise Roller Girls return to the track to take on another Big Island team in this fun event. Lots of action, entertainment and family fun as these women show their stuff on skates. Tickets at various stores or at the event.

Pahoa-Kalapana

JIMI HENDRIX 68TH BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE!!

Time: 26 Nov 2011 - 16:20

Address: End of the Red Road! Kalapana Kalapana

Come enjoy a magical evening celebrating the world’s greatest guitar player’s 68th Birthday JIMI HENDRIX @ Uncle’s Kava Bar with many of Hawaii’s finest musicians including LOVE MACHINE and much more @ Uncle’s Kava Bar in lovely Kalapana, where the Red Road ends!! From 4:20pm-pau!! All ages welcome!!

Vegetarian Thanksgiving Celebration

Time: 24 Nov 2011 - 17:00

Address: Leilani Estates Pahoa area

Make your way to Aloha Farms for a fun, friendly and free Thanksgiving Day celebration and vegetarian feast. The celebration will begin at 5pm with kirtan and dancing to live music. Kirtan is an ancient tradition of singing the names of God congregationally. It is a nonsectarian activity, and people of any faith can add it to their lives. A special guest speaker will talk about the meaning of spiritual life and the evening will finish off with a delicious home-cooked vegetarian feast and a bonfire. Aloha Farms is located in the Pahoa area. Call Maha at 965-9198 for directions and more information.

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilo over Thanksgiving

Thanks for the fast response. We are going to be at friends for Thanksgiving dinner so we don't have to worry about that. Thanks for all the information about the other things going on around town that weekend.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilo over Thanksgiving

KK always has good advice :)

Definitely try to do a show w/ Brother Cazimero if you like Hawaiin musc.

The Art Center in Volcano is always festive especially around the holidays.

While you are at it you can probably pick up a game of golf nearby.

Looks like they have tee times even for Thanksgiving but check the weather first before heading up there. http://www.volcanogolfshop.com/

If its going to be a pretty clear evening bring snacks, hot drinks, sandwiches and watch the glow at Halema Crater from Jaggar Museum one night.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,963 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilo over Thanksgiving

mikey, great news that your TG dinner is all set. My main advice re eating out is that quite a lot of Hilo is closed Sunday night, but Cafe Pesto is open and has live music, or did (check first, if it matters).

It is important to get reservations to eat dinner out in Hilo and I would imagine Pahoa, certainly Volcano. There are a lot of people competing for the tables, even in informal restaurants. Most do not have much seating.

Thanks, TJ!

Indeed I put the Bros Cazimero at the top as the most special event -- a live performance by musical legends.

Personally I would like to go to the Hendrix birthday celebration. I bet it will be fun. I saw Hendrix perform at the Monterey Pop Festival in '67 and one other time, and his music sure brings back memories (and is great stuff).

I don't want to drive back from Kalapana though, so I am torn on that.

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilo over Thanksgiving

Hey thanks for all the help. The Bros Cazimero are already sold out, but we are looking forward to seeing the kid and dodging raindrops. Thanks to everyone for the help.

8. Re: Hilo over Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 03, 2012