We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

Is kau is good to stay for 3 days? I am going there with my family and two small kids. so i don't want much driving time to sight seeing places. I found kau is in midway of kona and hilo and close to volcanoes. Pls give me detailed information

Thanks

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

Ka'u is about the worst place to stay to be close to anything.

There is no one place close to everything on this island. It is too large. Treat West and East Hawai'i as two islands, and pick a close in base on each side to avoid too much driving.

Unless you have a good long visit, you can't cover the whole island anyway.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

PS. There is plenty of detailed information if you look around here, and you should also read a guide book.

Three days is not enough. That is enough to pick a couple activities, not to see the island.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

Just for perspective, the Island of Hawai'i is as big as Delaware and Rhode Island combined.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

i say kona, that is the only place that is "close" to everything, considering that the big island is THE BIG ISLAND...and there is so much to see. what are you interested in? what drew you to Ka'u??

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

Where would you recommend one spot to stay to see everything in Texas In 3 days? Can't be done without a WHOLE lot of driving. What does the rest of your trip involve? What other islands are you visiting? 3 days, 2 nights on the BI is really giving a lovely island short shrift...with kids it's just a headache!

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

so mama, she wants to know a good area..can you suggest one for her???

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

Not really! After 38 years Kailua -Kona is my fave but as with everything else on island it's a drive to explore other areas! 3 days and 2 nights means parking at a resort and enjoying the immediate area, which is fine for many folks

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

This question is too hard to answer, because the OP needs to tell us what sights she plans to see, and what the rest of her trip looks like, how much her budget is for lodgings, what type of lodgings she wants.

If she doesn't know what sights she wants to see, it's time to do some reading and figure that out first.

You can't just pick out a point on the map and think it might be good because it's equidistant. You have to read about the different areas and find out what they have to offer.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,073 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

Mamma and KK are right. Not nearly enough info from the OP, who doesn't seem to have done even the minimum of research necessary before deciding to/inquiring about travel to the Big Island. I would actually say the Kohala Coast is most convenient as a base for a short trip with kids because of the better weather and beaches, but Kona might be the answer as well depending on budget and interests. Either way, attempting to do both sides of the island in that timeframe isn't reasonable.

Covina, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best place to stay(close to every thing) on big island

You seem very knowledgable about BI. Planning 7-10 days w family of 5...3 kids 11, 15 and 8. Want walking distance(and not a 20 min walk) or oceanfront to a nice beach with snorkeling and swimming. Thinking April or May, or maybe next November. (When is best weather?) Want hot tub and (heated) pool. Condo w kitchen. Want to see: Day trip (or overnight) to Volcano NP. Will rent car. The rest of the time beach, chillin', some shopping. Budget: no more than 400/day. Does this even exist? I will consider any area although from what I am reading the prettier beaches are north of KOA.