We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the evening lava glow worth an overnight in Hilo?

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago,Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is the evening lava glow worth an overnight in Hilo?

My wife and I will be on the BI next week for our 30th anniversary. We are staying at the Marriott Waikoloa. Originally I planned a whole day for VNC. By whole day I mean leave early AM and back at the hotel before dark. Now I'm wondering if it's worth an overnight in Hilo so we can catch the lava glow at night? Also is the glow best viewed from one of the hiking trails? If so do we need a guide or just tips from one of the park rangers? Thank you very much for any helpful information.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is the evening lava glow worth an overnight in Hilo?

Stray...great pics! Where did you stay and for how many days?

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
481 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is the evening lava glow worth an overnight in Hilo?

Hi,

I'll post a trip report soon. We stayed 5 nights in Holua Resort in Keohou and 4 nights in vacation home in Volcano Village called Volcano Hale Mauka.

See below for a link to my pics of the Nationa Park. I would definitely recommend trying to see the glow if you have the chance.

www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Is the evening lava glow worth an overnight in Hilo?

There are many folks who drive over from the Kona side of the island in the morning and then head back after viewing the glow at Halemaumau crater. There are also some great lodging options in Volcano Village, only a few minutes away from the viewing area. The Visitors Center in the National Park has excellent information and recommendations for activities there, but with a local guide you will defiantly leave with a better understanding of the natural features and history of this amazing area. Volcano Village has lots of great BnBs and small Lodges-some to consider are the Kilauea Lodge, TeaPot Cottage, Volcano Village Lodge and the Volcano Tree House. The best time to view the glow is around sunset time, and you will want to stay until it gets dark for the best viewing. The drive back to Kona will be approximately 2.5 hours, so you will be back to you hotel by 10pm or so if you choose that option. Have fun!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is the evening lava glow worth an overnight in Hilo?

It is a long drive back at night by the southern route. The times I did it, I was only going to Honaunau, too.

I have driven back to Waikoloa at night from the old lava hike, but I lucked out that the weather was good.

Tonight, for example, it is absolutely dumping rain in Hilo. I was thrilled to get off the road after less than ten miles, and sure wouldn't have enjoyed driving the rest of Hamakua. Once you get to Waimea, it's fine.

It rains on Hamakua at night more often that not (which I know because I live here). The weather has been drier than usual the last few years, but the last couple days are a reminder of old time Hilo style rainy weather.

The problem with driving Hamakua is that when the paint is worn off the lines in the road, and the reflectors are dead, and you're driving into oncoming lights, and it's raining like a monsoon, it's hard to see the road. Then you get someone coming at you who won't dim their brights, it's just lovely. There are narrow bridges with no room next to the lane, so if you are even a little off with your place in the lane you could hit the side of the bridge.

The glow is nice and all, but I don't think it's worth doing that kind of drive.

Besides, if it is raining at Jaggar, the glow can be invisible, as I've seen (or rather not seen) from experience.

An overnight is a good option if you want to stay. Problem is if the weather is bad up there, then you may as well have gone back to the west side in the afternoon when you could still see the road. No guarantees.

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
33 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is the evening lava glow worth an overnight in Hilo?

it is so worth it to stay into the dark to see the lava. And it is a long way back to the Kona side. Best bet is to find a place right at Volcano to spend the night. There are inns and vacation rentals, some very nice.

16. Re: Is the evening lava glow worth an overnight in Hilo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:57 am, August 19, 2013
17. Re: Is the evening lava glow worth an overnight in Hilo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 06, 2013