We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to find a private car serv. with driver for Seniors

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to find a private car serv. with driver for Seniors

Does anyone know of a car service with a driver to help my parents get around Hilo? I only seem to find limos and these are not necessary and way too much $$$. My father and mother are in there 80's and I would like to surprise them with some transportation . They will be in Hilo until Oct. Thanks Trip Advisors!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to find a private car serv. with driver for Seniors

No, only can suggest cabs. Hilo is a simple town that would hardly support a private car service. I will be surprised if you find one.

You could buy them a gift card Visa and load it up for them to pay cabs with, some cab companies offer these shared ride coupons. Cabs are OK if in town, but to go anywhere else will cost big bucks and a tour would work better.

The bus is practically free but not sure if it would be practical for them.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to find a private car serv. with driver for Seniors

There are few things I waill add to KamaainaK.

1. Coordinated Services for the Elderly, 1055 Kino`ole Street, Ste 106 can be very helpful to have as a contact if your mother or father end up needing transportation to a Dr. or pharmacy while visiting Hilo. You can contact them and they can be of help.

2. You can buy your parents coupons through the mass transit system to be used with various taxi services in Hilo at a significant discount. This way, your parents don't need to use a Visa or credit card and it is all prepaid for them. All your mom and dad have to do is give a specific number of coupons to the taxi driver to get from their place to where ever they want to go. They can be purchased by calling the mass transit authority located at the Iron building.

3. You can contact Jack's which do provide limo or town car services in the Hilo area. From what I know they can work out an amount you pay up front for services on demand. You would need to contact them directly to see who they would work this out, but they have been helpful to us in the past.

I'm sure there are other options, but those are the 3 that I know of right off the top of my head.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to find a private car serv. with driver for Seniors

Thank you for some great suggestions. I really love using Trip Advisor because it always points me in the right direction. I will try to look into these things. I do know already that cabs are very very expensive in Hilo as that is what my parents are telling me! I wanted to surprise them with the gift of "transport". Thank you again

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to find a private car serv. with driver for Seniors

Thank you Epicurean for being there with useful details. My only experience with it was when I had a rental guest a few years back who chose not to rent a car and stayed over a month.

She used the taxi coupons. The ones I mentioned in my post are, I believe, the same ones Epicurean suggested.

Good to know about Jack's and these services for the elderly!

5. Re: Trying to find a private car serv. with driver for Seniors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, October 19, 2012