We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

Great Falls, MT
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

ASAP...any information on this place we are thinking of renting would be helpful...such as the weather and the area.

Thank you,

Ebbie Bliss

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

Excellent idea EFT.........being a destination expert for such a small town, I am very familiar with most of the vacation rentals and motels here and I am often pm'd by folks with specific questions......I am happy to give honest opinions and have noticed that same spirit of cooperation by DE's on many of the other boards.........

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

I have on occasion gotten offers of tours by VRBO owners in Puna. The problem is, it is a proposition that asks for two hours of my personal time with nothing in return other than that I could then promote THEIR property. That is how long it would take me to drive out to Kaloli Point and look at a place, plus it would cost $5-10 in gas. Then the crappy roads taking their toll on my car.

I spend a lot of volunteer time already, too much time really. However, when I post at home it gives me rewards too -- fun interaction, a chance to be helpful without a huge investment in time per person, and I can intersperse it with work I am doing on my computer.

Going and touring would mean that I give up a big chunk of time with no other productivity, so there would have to be some kind of quid pro quo, and I'm not sure how that work with TA's guidelines, which I strive to observe. Also, there are a hundred or more rentals in the area, just on VRBO, so to cover them all would be a real job.

That said, I did spin down there on Wednesday because I had some down time in-between appointments in Kea'au. It actually took longer than I remembered, as it was a full 15 minutes each way from Kea'au -- and that was driving faster than the limit in HPP.

Of course, even though I was going faster than the limit, someone else passed me and left me in their speeding dust, right at a spot where there was a "Do Not Pass" sign too, The roads are dangerous in the subdivision compared to driving around Hilo town or Volcano Village area.

I drove the length of Paradise Ala Kai just to refresh myself. Most of its length is like a whole other world than mainstream HPP. It looks prosperous, with a holiday air, nice landscaping, only a few run down properties. A little more sketchy at the northern end, sparser. You do not want sparse in HPP due to the break-ins problem.

I didn't have time to drive down Ala Heiau, but I know that area pretty well; it is nice, upscale, and there is an area at the southern end where locals come to fish off the rocks.

As for the Japanese style house, I was not able to see it because all I knew was that it was on 2nd off Paradise, but not whether it was north or south on 2nd. I did head south on 2nd, and was appalled at the roughness of the gravel road there. Not rutted, but rough large gravel, the cinder is all blown or worn away. Having just replaced my air filter, I was not into clogging it up on HPP roads.

2nd street is very sparsely built, mostly vacant lots with vanda orchids, too lonely for me to want to be there at night. I drove it for a few minutes and saw no house, then looked to the north when I got back to Paradise, and still no house in sight and more rough road. I was already late for my appointment, so I had to head out.

Conclusion -- it makes perfect sense to have Paradise Ala Kai rentals cost more than a rental out on 2nd Street, even though a glimpse of blue can be had from 2nd. The difference in the feel of having community and neighboring houses, the feel of oceanfront, makes the two a world apart.

13. Re: VRBO #9925 Keaau, Puna District,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, October 16, 2012