We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car from cruise port

Labadie, Missouri
Level Contributor
136 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car from cruise port

Hi I am interested in renting a car from the cruise port- any suggestions? I keep finding rentals available at the airports, but I really need something close to the port.

Thanks!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rental car from cruise port

"Most of rental are from the airport, and they run shuttle to pick up customers from NCL port, which they are ugly commercial ports."

Are you referring to Thailand? Your description certainly does not fit Kona where the cruise lines use tenders to ferry the passengers to the pier.

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rental car from cruise port

Chi... Did you rent a car? Do you have any specific "insight" into the NCL cruise? Feel free to PM me.

I will contact the rental companies and check out cruise critic.

Thanks for the advice.

Chiangmai Thailand
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rental car from cruise port

Yes, I rented a car in every ports, we rented 2 days in Maui and others only one day rental on each port. We drove and visited places ourselves. NCL will not give you any information about car rental. We enjoyed our trip but not from Pride of America services. It is a joke to me, I cruised with them for 7 times, this one a real surprised. Do not over pack, there are 2 main dinning rooms, the Liberty, you have to dress up a bit, for man a long pant is good enough. But another dinning room, the Skyline, a short pant for either man or women would do, they don't care.

If you have questions, please ask. If you take it easy, you will enjoy your trip, because Hawaii is so much to see and so beautiful.

Please visit cruise Critic, and select Port of Call and Hawaii, I posted the rental car location for each port. It should be sometime late April. I will look into it again, and let you know.

Chiangmai Thailand
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rental car from cruise port

At Kona, it is a tender port, the rental car company pick us up from the ferry port too. I rented car from Thrifty every port, with my Blue ship member, it was easy, when I got off from the shuttle bus, everything already prepare, we just signed the agreement, they handed the car key to us. Some ports, Thrifty and Alamo van pick up customers in same van and they have same rental office too. As I said, there are shuttle vans, not just from rental car companies, but it also from shopping stores too.

I did not refer to Thailand, if I am going to Thailand, I do not have to rent a car, I have someone drive me. :)

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rental car from cruise port

ChangMai.....stick to Thailand kiddo...

Dollar andThrifty re located at the foot of Kona pier in the lobby of the King Kam Hotel. 200 yaed walk. There is no shuttle for them

Other companies in Kona are Enterprise, thye will pick you up ... it is a 10 min ride. All the other companies are a 20 min ride in a shuttle that doen not run all day, just in the morning and return at around from the air port.

Because of tendering dont expect to get to the Pier for over an hour after scheduled arrival because ship tour passengers have prioroty... you will have to wait. Last tender from kona is 4:45 to the ship

In Hilo the nearest rental is Harper, about 1 mile distant and you have to call. ALL the others are 4 miles away at the airport a 15 min ride each way

There is a shuttle in both ports to Wallmart which is our "Neiman Marcus"

I have been on luxury cruises and NCl cruises. I have taken NCL several times around the islands. It is a very reasonable if not cheap way to see Hawaii. it is Holiday inn at sea....

People paying holiday inn rates, and squeezing their dimes go expecting Ritz Carlton get dissapointed

I enjoyed the cruise and it is wonderful... great ports and a nice ship. People with an attitude and a large supply of mirrors, wont enjoy it......( but they dont really enjoy anyhting) Very good food, casual dress, not a formal ship...

Hilo is not ugly. any more than a gas station ..its a neat clean commercial port which has some tank farms. warehouses, and container storage.... It see passenger ships 2 days a week at most.. Its not a resort...

Baltimore, MD
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rental car from cruise port

Hawaiidan: I can't find the address for the Dollar and Thrifty located in the lobby of the King Kam Hotel. I keep getting the airport location. Do you have a direct phone number or address that I can put into the search engine?

Same problem in Hilo, could I get a company name, address and phone number in Harper?

I am looking forward to my NCL floating hotel as a way to see many islands for a fair price. I won't my splurging on some of the restaurants you need to pay a fee and will be eating a few meals prepared on the island.

Edited: 2:54 pm, May 16, 2011
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rental car from cruise port

Bolto...

KONA.... contact Enterprise... for Kona dont know phone call directory serv they will meet you at pier As for Dollar/Thrifty... tell them this is for a reservation at the King Kam Hotel in Kona pickup. not airport area 808

Best thing to do in Kona is take the ships snorkel tour... because its the best place in the State to snorkel....far better than Maui, Kauai. Oahu.

Hilo, Harpers is 0ne mile distant and they will pick you up. Only authorized cars can come in the port.. you cant drive in.... nothing outside the gate but bulk oil and a steveadore bar... and ware houses. Call directory for HILO 808 area

You will love the cruise....its the best and most economical way to see Hawaii... the Napali Coast cruise the last day saves you a $200 PP Tour.

Best place of a helo tour is Hilo to see the volcano. because you see for free on the ship what the Helo on Kauai would show you.

Get an inside cabin and save your money for shore tours... the shore intensive schedule makes outside and balcony cabins a poor value as you can or will only be using them at night..... !!!

Kauai....Best deal is to rent a car, they pick up from terminal foe a 10 min drive. 8-5 you can drive to Waimea Canyon and then north to the end of the road..... 1 road, tour not needed.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Rental car from cruise port

Hi, I'm cruising with my parents and I like to rent a car at each port Maui, Hilo, Kona, Kauai and Honolulu. Should I book ahead of time or when I get there? Where to get the shuttles to the car rentals? Which is easier and cheap? Thank you

San Ramon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Rental car from cruise port

Dollar seems to have the lowest rental rate, and they do run a continuous shuttle from the Hilo cruise port to their rental agency at the airport. It's about a 5 minute drive, and if the shuttle doesn't show up, then call 808-961-2101 and request they send the shuttle over to the port.

20. Re: Rental car from cruise port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 04, 2013