We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation with Children

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, NV
1 post
Save Topic
Vacation with Children

I am planning a trip with my three kids (ages 5,5,6) and my parents. We are thinking of spending 3 days on the big island after 4 on Oahu (my parents met there 46 years ago and have not been back so it is a must). Anyways, my children definately want to see the volcano and I have been looking for best place to stay. I have seen several private homes for rent near the park but was wondering if I should stay somewhere else and drive to park. I was also wondering about best snorkling. I am concerned about snorkling in Oahu as we will probably go in June or August and I have seen precautions due to stinging seaweed and jellyfish. If anyone has good ideas of places to stay and how I can make this a fun and educational trip for my kids and a wonderful memory for my parents please let me know. There will be seven of us traveling and I need the most bang for my limited buck!!

Modesto, CA
Level Contributor
93 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation with Children

Vegas Mom- You might check out Kona and just drive to the park. I have read previous posts stating the Sheraton was pretty good and resonably priced and has a great pool with a waterslide. We are opting for a condo due to the length of time we will be there. Try a snorkeling search on forum to see of anyone has addressed snorkeling with little kids. I have searched the internet previously, and linked to some, but had a minimum age limit. Unless the water is very calm, I would be nervous. Our daughter, who is 9 is a great swimmer and is comfortable in the water, was nervous snorkeling in the Caribbean this last spring. One thing we did was inflate an inexpensive pool lounge, she was just able to put her head in the water and see everything. If you do not receive any other replys, try posting a another question later,I read where Hawaii Dan is on vacation, and he may have some great suggestions for you.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation with Children

I would not advise a stay in Kona only, it is too far a drive for Volcano National Park, especially with 7 people. Maybe do 2 nights in either Volcano or Hilo area, and the other on the Kona side. In Hilo, I would recommend the Hilo Hawaiian, with breakfast at Ken's House of Pancakes, down the street.

One place I like to watch for specials is www.travelzoo.com. They offer packages as well as independent travel.

At the park, I would not recommend a hike out onto the lava flows for your children, as it is very treacherous and dangerous. It takes a lot of steady footing.

Check out the lastest info at http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update