We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

speaking of humidity...

Yucca Valley...
Level Contributor
154 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
speaking of humidity...

Me, my DH, 74 y. o. Mom & 70 year old friend will be in Hilo Nov. 11 for 4 days. We will be staying at Dolphin Bay which does not have A/C... will this time of year be uncomfortable and hot without AC? Should we consider something else?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,072 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: speaking of humidity...

You're welcome! I've always heard good things about Orchid Tree. Talked to the hostess once by phone and she was super nice and gave of her time.

There are a few more upscale places but then you get close to the $200 a night price point. Orchid Tree has a suite that has another room for extra guests, which is why I thought it MIGHT work.

punaverse
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: speaking of humidity...

My parents stay at the Dolphin Bay when they visit and love it. They were always content with the room, the hotel itself was plenty quiet enough, and they could putter and do breakfast at their own pace. They really liked the convenience being able to walk to most of Hilo and being able to fix their own sandwiches or whatever for picnics when they went out exploring. Most of the other guest seemed to be in the same category as they are: retired adventurous but frugal travelers who don't need to be catered to with mints on the pillow. The staff was also very nice and helpful. For what it is worth they have traveled all over the globe and tend to stay in small hotels, inns, or pensions as opposed to resort types of places. The Dolphin Bay is not for people who want a lot of luxury, but if you want a clean, comfortable and friendly little family run hotel it is great.

As far as the neighborhood goes, Hilo is not very strictly divided along socioeconomic lines so any location can be a real mixed bag with expensive homes right next door to falling down plantation era shacks. My in laws stayed at a very spendy B&B that turned out to be right behind a large local family with barking dogs, roosters, major shouting matches, people coming and going at all hours and a back yard mechanic who started revving the engine right under their window at 6 AM. (We told them they were seeing the real Hawaii.) So spending a lot of money on a B&B is no guarantee you will be in some sort of elite neighborhood,unless you are maybe on Reeds Island.

13. Re: speaking of humidity...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 31, 2009