We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HPP Vacation Rental

Vancouver
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
HPP Vacation Rental

Hello,

Can I get some advise on the following property? Is it a good area to stay in?

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p183495

I've read from some of the forums that the HPP area has many unpaved roads and would violate car rental contract. Would this house be located in one of those areas?

I'm planning to visit Hilo and VNP during my stay there.

Thanks!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: HPP Vacation Rental

Hi KamaainaK,

A few more questions. This is my first time to BI. Can you tell me where this vacation home is? I want to get an idea on the driving distance to places.

Also, I see from your other posts that there is bacteria in the lagoons. Is this vacation home affected? Are the water save to drink and shower?

Thanks again!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: HPP Vacation Rental

>>>Can you tell me where this vacation home is? I want to get an idea on the driving distance to places.

You can find it on Google Maps, using the map link on the left menu. Type in Paradise Ala Kai, Keaau, HI

It's 5-10 minutes out to Hwy 130, another 5-10 minutes to Pahoa or Hilo. It's in-between. From the highway, 30 minutes maybe to Kalapana lava viewing. 30-40 minutes to Volcano.

>>Also, I see from your other posts that there is bacteria in the lagoons. Is this vacation home affected?

No, Hawaiian Paradise Park has no lagoon; it's on pali (cliffs).

>>>Are the water save to drink and shower?

Some houses on Kaloli Point have private wells. Others are on catchment, which is rainwater collected off the roof and into a holding tank, hopefully with a good filter. There's no County water in this area. Hilo has County water and Kapoho (at least Vacationland). Can't remember whether Volcano has it.

I would not drink catchment water on vacation. Some houses have super clean UV systems, but you probably don't understand catchment systems well enough to evaluate. They are safe to shower, but drinking and tooth brushing they should provide bottled water.

Ask the person you're renting from about the water, what system they have.

Hope that helps!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: HPP Vacation Rental

>>>Do you know about the air quality there coz it seems like it's pretty close to some volcanoes?

If the tradewinds are blowing the air will be super clean.

If the winds are blowing from the south (less frequent), it will push some vog towards you. I can't quantify that. If that happens, Hilo and Volcano Village stand a good chance of being the same.

>>>Is it a difficult drive there? Lots of unpaved roads?

No, it's 4-6 lane highway out of Hilo to the Keaau junction, Hwy 130, then 4 lanes mostly. When you turn into the subdivision, private paved road, 2-lane, down almost to the ocean. Paradise is a better road in than Maku'u, which dips up and down.

The paved road will end out near the point, unless they've paved Paradise Ala Kai since I was last there a year ago. It's not rutted; it's cindered.

Paradise Ala Kai is the oceanfront and a lot of new homes that are super nice are built there.

Again, hope this helps.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: HPP Vacation Rental

KK, thanks for all your info. Do you know about the rental?

http://www.vrbo.com/119663

Are the water safe to drink in the hilo/puna area?

Thanks,

Alice

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: HPP Vacation Rental

Re the rental, no, as a resident who lives on the same side of the island, I have no need to try vacation rentals, perhaps someone else will have ... looks VERY new.

Kaloli Point is hot and generally dry, very hot in summer. Unless you are oceanfront don't count on much of an ocean view, as there are lots of trees and intervening neighbors for many house lots on the point. That top story was probably built to add view.

My response to their ad is nice house, stuck on a bulldozed and cleared lot, no landscaping, I would not like it as much as a place with tropical landscaping.

Re drinking water in Hilo and Puna, it's apples and oranges. Hilo is on County water, much of Puna is on catchment. Small areas are on County water or private wells.

Whether catchment is safe depends on how high tech the system is. I would still drink bottled water on catchment. Which is not hard to do, and not that expensive.

There are some VERY funky catchment systems. Open gutters, with all the rats and bugs in Hawai'i, you can imagine what can get in the water. Old liners, not cleaned often enough, add molds.

The rentals discussed here on this topic, I would expect to have good systems. Do ask the owner.

16. Re: HPP Vacation Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, October 17, 2009