We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near Hilo Airport

Newtown...
Level Contributor
221 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging near Hilo Airport

In early March,we are flying from Hilo to Maui on an 8 A.M. flight. We would like to know if there are any reputable hotels near the airport. My search has been discouraging thus far.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lodging near Hilo Airport

Thank you for your help. After reading Trip Advisor reviews on Maureens B&B, I called and canceled the reservation and am so glad I did. Maureen was first angry, then emotional, then a blubbering, sobbing mess with dogs barking in the background. It took me 20 minutes to get off the phone while she insisted that Trip Advisor is ruining her life. Regardless of the poor room condition, She does not represent an inn owner with whom I want to spend my valuable vacation time.

We are now booked at the Hilo Honu Inn, a small B&B with 3 rooms in the historic district and excellent reviews. The rooms range $140-$225 per night. Since we will be flying to Maui before breakfast, Gay plans to prepare a box meal for us. I can only hope it works out.

Worth noting: It is possible to book 1 night at Hilo B&Bs with an extra charge of $20 per room (for cleaning, etc.) Perhaps with the poor economy, more one night rooms will become available.

We are spending 4 nights in Kona area and 1 night at a nice sounding lodge that serves dinner in Volcano. I would appreciate any input on special, not to miss sights with a car, guided tours of the volcano that go beyond the normal auto routes, restaurants, macadamia nut farms, coffee plantations, etc. Anything you want to share---thanks for your help.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lodging near Hilo Airport

Good luck getting your box meal through security....

No fluids, they are pretty strict.

I am interested....your B&B offers a Gay Plan nthat provides meals... suppose your not, you know,....can you still get it?

Newtown...
Level Contributor
221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lodging near Hilo Airport

We will eat the breakfast before entering the airport.

The Hilo Huno Inn is NOT a gay B&B. The wife's name, unfortunately in today's world, happens to be "Gay." My husband and I are traveling together. However, we have stayed at some very hospitable B&Bs that happen to be owned by gay partners. At 60, we do extensive traveling world wide.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Lodging near Hilo Airport

looking forward to hearing about the Honu Inn!

Very nice part of town to stay, can walk around, unlike down by Maureen's. The Inn there gets great reviews.

Sorry about poor Maureen, and any part I played in urging you to look further, but as you say, being a basket case does not promote business.

I have no patience with B&B's that expect guests to put up with the owner's dogs. I used to work at a B&B in California where the owner's dog was a "crotch dog" that leapt on women guests as they entered the lobby to check in. Ewww. And the owner would say, "now now." Not cool. Dogs should be out of the guests' way, including during phone calls!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Lodging near Hilo Airport

If your B&B doesn't pan out then Dolphin Bay Horel near downtown Hilo starts at $109 for one night, $99 for two nights. My friends stays there months at a time and swears by it (he's pretty picky).

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Lodging near Hilo Airport

I just can't agree that Dolphin Bay would be a good backup in substitute for Hilo Honu. The latter is an upscale B&B in a wonderful part of town, Haili Street, an area of period homes.

Sorry, but Dolphin Bay is in the worst part of Hilo, near the rather scary and grim apartment houses. It is a good establishment but not well located if you want to see the cute and quaint part of town.

It compares well to Uncle Billy's, and probably above Seaside.

As an alternate I would say Orchid Tree, Hale Kai, Bay House, and of course Shipman (but it costs).

17. Re: Lodging near Hilo Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, August 29, 2009