We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle Hilo

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Castle Hilo

Can anyone give me a review of Castle Hilo? There are not very many from what I've found or they're really old. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Thanks!!!

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle Hilo

Friends don't let friends to stay in a hotel in Hilo! :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle Hilo

Most people I talk to think it's the best of a bad lot.

Sorry, I've never stayed there. Have stayed at Naniloa before its current renovation started, and hated it. Have stayed at Uncle Billy's and hated it.

It's a place to sleep and it accommodates people who come to Hilo on business. As the county seat and second largest town in the State, Hilo gets lots of business travel. It's not like anyone's idea of their dream Hawai`i vacation.

If you want charm, find a nice B&B or tricked out vacation rental instead. If you want a bed for the night, at least you won't catch anything.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,960 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle Hilo

There are over 100 reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60583-d209311-…

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle Hilo

hi again,

out of curiosity I looked at the TA hotel reviews and found ten reviews that are quite new, posted since Thanksgiving. Things don't change too quickly in Hilo, and I'd consider anything from that time period perfectly current.

One feature I like on TA is the traveler photos link on the hotel review page. This lets you see casual photos not taken by the hotel's marketing people. There are a few pics of the interior posted here.

One thing about the location, no other hotel in Hilo has such a great view of Coconut Island and Hilo Bay. If you stay there, I would get a room overlooking the Bay (oceanfront). Might make up for the dated decor.

Expect the pool to be cold, but who comes to Hilo looking for a pool?

What I see in the reviews is a pattern where people who know nothing about Hilo compare it unfavorably to Maui or Kona. They say it is run down. Well, duh! Hilo doesn't aspire to be like those places. Hilo is historic and a real working town, not a town that aims to be on travel posters.

Then the people who've heard how bad the Hilo hotels are relieved that the hotel isn't THAT awful.

So when you read the reviews you have to factor in whether the person had unrealistic expectations because of not doing any research before booking here.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
36,669 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle Hilo

oops, forgot to say that if you type Hilo Hawaiian as a phrase into an Advanced Image search on Google, you can find more photos taken by travelers and posted in their travel albums, although you have to weed through travel booking sites.

You need to type it as a phrase or it will find extraneous hits that just include the words Hilo and Hawaiian.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle Hilo

Depends on what you are looking for. How long are you staying?

Hilo Hawaiian is the best of the choices in Hilo for a hotel. It is old, and some of the rooms are bit musty, the higher up you are the better. Like KK said get an ocean view, highest floor possible. Do NOT stay on the street side, the maynah birds will drive you crazy. Parking is OK, the Queens court rest. has gone downhill in recent years, recommend eating elsewhere. Depending on the room, the bed can be a little hard. For one or two nights while on the Hilo side it is passable. Just know what to expect going in and you will be fine. My last stay there I opened up the balcony door for a few hours and aired it out, and it was fine for an overnight stay.

Good luck and happy travels!

7. Re: Castle Hilo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 22, 2009