We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

Kalani Oceanside Resort is in Pahoa, about 34 miles from Hilo and is supposed to take 51 minutes to get there from the airport. The resort itself has a shuttle for $35. per person. Since it's 2 of us, we're wondering if there's a more economical way to get there. Ideas? Thanks!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

there is no other option...maybe cab and 35 is fine.

But you have me laughing...."Kalani Oceanside Resort".

If your expecting a resort...boy have you got a big suprise coming....did you check this out? I suggest you look long and hard.....remote, in a very alternative area...and the beach is not safe for swimming..... creative writers

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

That timing seems about right, up to an hour.

Well, are you not renting a car because you're going to be in a retreat for a week or something?

If you're not renting a car, then I think the shuttle is the only alternative. I expect a taxi would cost even more.

If you're here on vacation and aren't boarding at the retreat for all meals, you need a car because there is absolutely nothing in the way of food or drink closer than Pahoa.

So let us know more about why you're going there.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

We are going to a retreat there from Sunday to Saturday. I've heard it's somewhat rustic. Would it be better to have a car for the whole time we're there? Can you rent an affordable one in Hilo? Thanks!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

hi, yes, if you don't have a car you'll be trapped there. But then the purpose of a retreat is to retreat. For example, I have friends who do meditation retreats where they sign up for a very rigorous schedule of meditation, and they would not need a car.

So it depends on the nature of the retreat. If it is just a series of workshops and classes, I would get a car to explore, especially if you have any free days.

Hilo airport is an international airport with all the usual rentals, just look around for a good price like you would in any other city. Before you try something like Priceline name your own price, shop around and see what the going rates are.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

You might want to use the "SEARCH" function above to check out this "Kalani Oceanside Resort" before you confirm your booking. "Somewhat rustic" is an understatement.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

the "rustic resort"..is best described as a third-world dump..... I HOPE YOU HAVENT PAID MONEY....

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,791 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

well, to each their own, I have a friend in California who used to do a weeklong workshop there (couples therapy, I think), and she never complained.

There was a time of my life when I used to go drive in the cold rain to take yoga class in cold rooms on hard floors out in the country in Mendocino, and get up every morning to split kindling and build a fire. And I even had homes without indoor plumbing ...

Yes, that was a long time ago for me, but plenty of people still know how to do rustic ... and enjoy it. At least Kalani has indoor plumbing. ;-)

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

I would guess you will have time to explore. Rent a car so you can escape the retreat once in a while. You might want to visit Volcanoes National Park, go out to eat, etc. Look for car deals.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

We are very excited about our upcoming retreat at Kalani and I do think we want to rent a car. Does anyone know the best place for the cheapest price to rent a car in Hilo? There is also a possibility that we may decide we want to return it to Kona? Thanks to everyone!

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Hilo Airport to Kalani Oceanside Resort

just keep checking expedia, travelocity, etc. Once you find a car deal check w/the rental website and rent from them - no deposit and you can cancel w/o penalty. Then keep checking the rates all along until you go. My rate went down $170 for my rental period about 2 weeks before I left. Needless to say I was excited.