We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four days for Hawaiian nature

Sydney
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Four days for Hawaiian nature

Hi there,

I've got four days in Hawaii in early June and am keen to see some wild nature and do some trekking rather than hang around in the cities.

I'm flying in and out of Honolulu but thinking of transferring straight to Hilo as a base and exploring the big island from there.

Do you think I've got it right?

cheers,

Jedi

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four days for Hawaiian nature

you will need a car.

Head for the Volcano National Park, for hiking and to get a hiking permit/wilderness Permit .

Since out side the park its pretty much all private land, closed to entry, the Park is your best choice.

Suggest the Mauna Loa Trail,

The park is massive with hundreds of miles of trails. but inquire which areas are closed to entry.

You will need reservations

for a place to stay in Volcano, as the park only has about 12 camp sites that are always full. Car camping is not permitted nor is sleeping in cars..or on a beach....

Nearest supplies will be a 45 min drive to Hilo.

2. Re: Four days for Hawaiian nature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, September 16, 2009