We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

Miami
3 posts
Save Topic
Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

Trip Advisor screens out the truly terrible reviews. For sure. Probably Expedia tries maintain some advertising relationships with even the worst hotels and resorts. Result for the consumer?.. you never hear the worst, and you should! In 38 years of travel I have never had a worse experience than this hot, dirty, misrepresented in almost every respect, This is a group of pooly maintained small tract house beside a chicken yard miles from where website says it is. Yet trip advisor did not even post my review, with all the gory details. Avoid Deep Hawaii, where you will take it deeply in the shorts, if you pay to stay here!

dubai
Level Contributor
183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

Is Deep Hawaii a company?? maybe you should give more details here as people who want to get their vacations right read these forums.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

I never even heard of it...........where the heck is it

Sad to say......stick with the " names known" here

tyring to get off the beaten track in Hawaii means

a big gamble and can be very 3rd world.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

Sharon,

It's not a conspiracy. Tripadvisor will not post any review of lodgings that aren't B&B or hotel. It must serve food or it doesn't fit TA criteria.

You can post your criticisms right here in the forums. You are in the right place. Tell us more. Where is this?

denville, nj
Level Contributor
753 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

TA does post reviews of lodging other than hotels and b&bs. Lots of condo reviews available. Deep Hawaii has one review. Go to "hotels"on Island of Hawaii and then click on "other lodging." Sometimes it has taken 4-5 days for reviews I have submitted to show up. I've seen lots of really scathing reviews on TA, so I don't think they screen the reviews based on negativity.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

I did look it up and studied the pictures and the location.......it showed very crude and basic shelter type homes....And the area is noted for its very "interesting" residents, .Its an area noted for its poverty and hard living.. Things like electricity, plumbing, water, are luxuries there....

In fact I noted the owners will not only rent you a room, they will take you hiking, sell you realestate, help you build a house....or whatever.

Renting a room is one on many things they do...it is not their total focus. I thought they were very honest in their explanation...its easy to read into things you want to hear when looking at a low price.

It is in a very third-world area, of aging hippies, which some love to escape to...while others think they would ...till they get there. The prices are very low, way lower than the norm in Hawaii.. so remember if it is too good to be true...maybe it is.

To any visitor ,use all the research tools you can... ask on the fourm.

You may not get the answer you wanted....but at least it will be honest and realistic

so sorry your dream and experience did not come to be.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

Aloha, It is always sad when someone has a less than great vacation to our island. kauai48 is right, there is a place for you to leave your reviews, good or other wise that has been set up by TA.

In the case of Deep Hawaii here is the URL

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60590-d612132-…

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

OK, I ran a search.

http://www.deephawaii.com/

The website says the houses are in HPP (Hawaiian Paradise Park), on 17th St., which is mid-park and my least favorite area of HPP (wet, albizzia trees, and coqui frogs, but can be lush and have pretty gardens).

This is agricultural zoning and in the local culture here a lot of people raise chickens and roosters.

Yes, these are typical package homes.

Basically these rentals look like how a lot of people live in East Hawai`i, so it COULD be OK --if it were clean -- for travelers who want to do as the locals do -- which includes putting up with roosters.

It is not resort or vacation style. Would I stay there myself? No. But it is really cheap and that would work well for people who were here for longer stays on a budget, perhaps shopping for real estate.

Homework is essential for anyone who wants to stray away from the main tourist lodgings. Especially if you have never been to the island before, there are some places that would shock the mainstream visitor -- that are only for the true alternative traveler.

Was it really miles away from where the website says? Because there' s a map on the website showing the location in HPP, and I cannot figure out any reason why anyone would falsely claim to be on 17th Street, as it's not a very glamorous address.

Deep Hawaii is managed by a licensed realtor ... that said, his company is listed as managing Waiakea Villas, which are the most awful dumps in Hilo (IMHO).

There is a review of this property on TA, under Hilo Hotels, click Specialty Lodging. It says it was not clean and the roosters were awful.

sharon, if you tried to re-post your review under specialty lodging, it ought to post OK, so you might try again.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

lol, looks like we were all researching it at the same time, as I finished my post and found four others that weren't there when I began.

los angeles
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

Hi Sharon,

It's too bad that you did not find good accommodations in HPP. There are plenty of nice B & B's around the island. Not knowing about the weather, landscape, etc. in HPP is a shame. There are micro-climates there; if you look at the satellite picture from above, you will see the more jungle-y areas (albizia trees, etc.--actually these trees are gorgeous, like a rain forest canopy, but they break and fall, unfortunately, without warning). There are drier streets than 17th. And, yes, the roosters are loud. However, there are the tamale lady and the huli-huli chicken, and the Maku'u Market that are all good. Hopefully, you got to some of the warm ponds.

We have been experiencing HPP now for several years, as we finally built a gorgeous, custom, fully "green" house that we will soon be renting to anyone who wants that eco-responsible vacation. It is architect-designed--not a kit house/tract house--and is really wonderful to live in. I love it, but have to work on the mainland, so it is only vacations there for me. There are other unique spots in HPP, but it helps to do some looking before you jump into a vacation in a less-traveled area.

all the best,

bixto

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,852 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deep Hawaii- Deepest travel rip off, ever

OK sharondodge49Miami , your review is posted (It can take a few days to actually show up which it does say when you post a review). I was curious, how did you find this "gem" in the first place? I know the normal property reviews on TA can be inaccurate at times but it would appear there was only one for this place before yours and it was not exactly kind about the conditions. Just wondering if you read it before going or not.

At any rate, hopefully the rest of your vacation was better.