We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning a Hawaii trip

Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning a Hawaii trip

Hi, My husband and I along with our two kids will be visiting Hawaii in Feb 2008. We are planning to visit 4 islands in twelve days. Is this feasible? Also we are planning to sightsee the big island for 4 days. Is this enough? These are the following areas we plan to cover in 4 days.

1. Akaka Falls S.P.

2. Hawaii Volcano N.P.

3. Ka Lae

4. Kealakekua Bay

5. Kona coffee plantation

6. Liliukalani Gardens

7.Mauna Kea

8. Punaluu Black sand Beach

9. Puukohola Heiau national Historic site

10. Puuhonua O national historic Park

11. Samuel Spencer beach park

12. Waipio valley

13. Hilo - Pacific Tsunami museum

Are these too many places to cover in 4 days? Have I missed any interesting place? How do we plan this tour ? We like to hike short distance, but we can't do any water activities. Should we stay in one place all 4 nights or do we stay in different places each night? Also, is Feb a good time to visit or is it going to be a rainy season? Thank you in advance for all the help .

Mauka Makai Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
KapohoKine Adventures
Gift & Specialty Shops, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Big Island Aina Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Kamaaina Custom Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help planning a Hawaii trip

Four islands in 12 days?! You will be wasting so much time (basically a full day every time!) with traveling between the islands. I certainly would cut the trip to two islands, or three the most.

Cleburne, Texas
Level Contributor
401 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help planning a Hawaii trip

I don't think I would try to do 4 islands in 12 days. Each day you have to pack, get to the airport, rent the car and check-in to your new destination you've pretty much lost that day for exploring anywhere. I wouldn't want to try more than 2 islands for a 12 day trip.

3. Re: Help planning a Hawaii trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:24 am, September 07, 2009
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor