We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Detroit
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning a Hawaii trip

Hi, My husband and I along with our two kids will be visiting Hawaii in Feb 2008. We are planning to visit 4 islands in twelve days. Is this feasible? Also we are planning to sightsee the big island for 4 days. Is this enough? These are the following areas we plan to cover in 4 days.

1. Akaka Falls S.P.

2. Hawaii Volcano N.P.

3. Ka Lae

4. Kealakekua Bay

5. Kona coffee plantation

6. Liliukalani Gardens

7.Mauna Kea

8. Punaluu Black sand Beach

9. Puukohola Heiau national Historic site

10. Puuhonua O national historic Park

11. Samuel Spencer beach park

12. Waipio valley

13. Hilo - Pacific Tsunami museum

Are these too many places to cover in 4 days? Have I missed any interesting place? How do we plan this tour ? We like to hike short distance, but we can't do any water activities. Should we stay in one place all 4 nights or do we stay in different places each night? Also, is Feb a good time to visit or is it going to be a rainy season? Thank you in advance for all the help .

VM

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,354 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Help planning a Hawaii trip

You must be related to my friend's DH who has a route map and checklist in order to "finish" the Louvre in under two hours.

A major part of visiting Hawaii is to slow down and experience "Island Time". You can phase in slowly by starting with a few days in Honolulu. Then rent a car and tour Oahu. Then choose ONE other island to visit. If it's Big Island, expect to be in the car a lot and expect to find the best lodgings all in the NW corner. Remember Big Island is larger than all the others together.

Look at this site for annual weather information for each of the islands: www.hawaiiweathertoday.com

February usually sees most wind and rain at high elevations and over the northern reaches of every island, especially Kauai and Oahu.

How old are your children?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help planning a Hawaii trip

It is doable but I would only recommend doing that schedule if you never plan on returning and want to have just a brief taste of everything.

On our very first trip to the islands we did 3 in 9 days. We found spots we really wanted to check out more in depth and did so on later trips.

Doing 4 islands in 12 days will mean a lot of airport time waiting for flights but hey, the airports are kind of unique so use that time to look around, do a bit of planning for your next destination etc...

No matter what you decide it is your vacation and what works for you might not work for others...but do take the time to slow down if you can, that is what the islands are all about.

13. Re: Help planning a Hawaii trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, September 07, 2009