We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car recommendation needed

Boulder CO
Level Contributor
90 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Rental car recommendation needed

I'll be traveling to Hilo for a week at the end of June. Is there a cheap local place that rents cars besides the national brands (Hertz, Dollar, etc.)?

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car recommendation needed

Sadly I know of none. Have you checked prices for the National Brands yet?

Boulder CO
Level Contributor
90 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car recommendation needed

I'm a little embarrassed.

I visited Hilo for 3 days about 2 years ago between Christmas and New Years. The cheapest price I could find was a Jeep for $110 a day. I assumed that would be the case here again. Fortunately, it looks like I can get a mid-size car for $170 for the entire week! Pretty good deal, and I think I'll take it.

Thanks for your help, and I should wait before posting next time!

MB

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
237 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car recommendation needed

I always go with priceline and name your own price. Usually can rent for 20-25 per day. You will usually end up at Alamo.

Boulder CO
Level Contributor
90 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car recommendation needed

I didn't use priceline (good idea though) and ended up with $200 with all taxes for 7 days. That's about $28 a day at Alamo. Acceptable, particularly since there are 3 of us splitting it.

Thanks.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car recommendation needed

Enterprise in Hilo can have some good rates. Someone who visited me here got a $20 a day rate (midsize).

NH
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car recommendation needed

rentalcars.com will show the rates of all rental car companies at any location.

paradise
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car recommendation needed

Hi Folks,

I was there on June 23, fly in and fly out, one day trip. Quoted about $26/ day.

I was there again June 27-July 1, quoted about $30 / day.

Will be there July 13- July 15, quoted at $32/day.

All with Alamo. They are located right at the airport, easy check-in and easy check-out. They have discounts for seniors, Costco, Kamaaina, Sams, AARP, etc., just ask, but they are all 10% off so does make much difference which one.

My prices differed so it must be a market function and availability, not sure. I filled up the tank across from the airport entrance before check out and no problem. Some years ago I went with some other company and even after I filled the tank, they still pumped again and charged me another $1.50 or so - that was so irrittating.

As long as Alamo prices in the "low range" I will give them my business because of the service and simplicity.

hilorain

(can you tell I'm originally from Hilo)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car recommendation needed

Just a heads up folks.. I just got $14 a day to work for me for 10 days from March 31st...

compact car.... the bid was taken by AVIS???... aren't they usually more expensive?... .I'd rather be with alamo myself, as they are really chill and never hassle me upon return for any tiny scrapes (there always is at least one:)... once, there was a lot of damage, and they didn't even care...

THanks Alamo!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car recommendation needed

congratulations, you scored!!!

Papaaloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car recommendation needed

I've always found that I can negotiate the best rates using priceline.com after checking prices on hotwire.com and rentalcars.com. The low price provider usually ends up being Alamo. By the way, Harper is the local rental car company.