We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

Hi,

I would like to find out if an Alamo 4WD is allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center, the saddle road, Waipio Valley and South Point.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

Well, the obvious way to get the right answer is to get the local # from Alamo and call the guys here on the island and ask them.

Saddle Road (VC) -- varies, used to be prohibited, now some allow.

4WD is not necessary for this road; it's paved. This is the one you should call about, that and South Point road.

Waipi'o -- NO NO NO, forget it, and when you see the road you'll understand why you shouldn't drive it anyway.

South Point -- 4WD not necessary to go to South Point. It's trespassing to drive the road to Green Sand, you would most likely get stuck, and it's not allowed.

There's nowhere that an Alamo 4WD will legally get you that you can't drive in a sedan and the Jeeps they rent you here have tires that are no better than my Honda Civic. They are street cars; the Jeep look is just for fun, to feel sporty.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

To reiterate KKs clear message

You cant drive off a paved dedicated road... no dirt.. no lava.. no gravel at any time.

No rentals permit wiapio valley road... not even harpers

Now, you will be paying twice that for it costs for a mid size car, In return you get:

1. 12-14 mpg instead of 30 to 35

2. a noisy howling rough ride over 30 mph

3. total lack of security

4. Total lack of storage space

5 the ability to barely fit 2 persons and their basic luggage inside( 1 person and groceries)

6. you cant drive you macho machine off a paved road by contract.

The rental of a 4x4 here is proably the best way possible to throw money away. !!!!!!

If you enjoy doing that... I will send you my address and you can throw some on my lawn........ which by they way sounds pretty foolish.... but no more than renting a vehicle that will give you no ability, ( actualy less) that any other rental car!!!

Ask your self..... why am I doing this???? you could dine at the Four seasons for the money you would save......

Time to rethink this one.....

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

To reiterate KKs clear message

You cant drive off a paved dedicated road... no dirt.. no lava.. no gravel at any time.

No rentals permit wiapio valley road... not even harpers

Now, you will be paying twice that for it costs for a mid size car, In return you get:

1. 12-14 mpg instead of 30 to 35

2. a noisy howling rough ride over 30 mph

3. total lack of security

4. Total lack of storage space

5 the ability to barely fit 2 persons and their basic luggage inside( 1 person and groceries)

6. you cant drive you macho machine off a paved road by contract.

The rental of a 4x4 here is proably the best way possible to throw money away. !!!!!!

If you enjoy doing that... I will send you my address and you can throw some on my lawn........ which by they way sounds pretty foolish.... but no more than renting a vehicle that will give you no ability, ( actualy less) that any other rental car!!!

Ask your self..... why am I doing this???? you could dine at the Four seasons for the money you would save......

Time to rethink this one.....

Atlanta
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

Thanks fpr the answers from hawiaiidan and Kamaainak.

It looks like I should just get a regular car to save some money.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

I would, Katie. Gas is at $3.39 a gallon!

mpg is very poor here because of all the grades to climb and constantly running A/C.

When driving here you will notice relatively few 4WD rentals and even fewer convertibles. Off-roaders who live here drive raised trucks with enormous tough tires to take on the lava, not Jeeps.

It annoys me that the rental companies offer these vehicles and entice visitors into renting at far higher rates, then when you pick it up you'll find out all the restrictions and how useless they are.

Ocoee, Florida
Level Contributor
272 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

I have rented a 4WD Jeep twice on the Big Isle. Both times our contract specifically forbid us from driving Saddle Rd, Waipi‘o Valley access road, and the road to South Point.

However, we went ahead and drove them ALL anyway. AND LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT!

Going down into Waipi‘o was especially nice. Just make sure you lock the transfer case into 4-wheel-low range (4WL), then place the gear selector into L1. Then you just idle down without even touching the brakes.

When you get to the bottom, you'll see a heap of metal that was a car. It looks like it took the express lane to the bottom of the valley. This could be you if you try to drive this road in a 2WD car.

Be nice on your way back up: offer a ride to those hiking back uphill. It's tougher to hike it than it looks.

There is only one reason the rental companies specifically forbid driving those roads: It absolves them of insurance liability in the event you have an accident or problem because you are declaring that you will not drive on those roads.

If you decide to go on these roads, keep in mind that you should not call the rental company if you run into a problem. Unless, of course, you totally wreck it. :)

As a matter of fact, on our last trip to this isle, the rental agent slyly asked if we would be driving Saddle Road. I quickly replied yes. He smiled and told us that we just needed to be careful if we drove any of the forbidden roads. Then he asked if I knew how to operate the 4WD functions of the Jeep and when to use them. I, of course, said I knew, which is the truth, and he replied that we should have a lot of fun going to those off-the-beaten-path places.

This indicated to me that they know exactly where these vehicles will be used.

Think about it: Why do they even offer them as rentals?

They just do not want to be responsible for the damage to the vehicle or to you in the event you have a wreck on these dangerous roads.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

BlueCollarTraveler, you must be related to Bonoman, Puget and Deedumans. Please advocate your kind of behavior to be practiced outside of Hawaii.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

They offer the Jeeps because its in the contract with Chrysler that each rental station has to take a mix of that companies production.

Thats why.... most would prefer

Blue collars attitude is the height of the ugly- visitor here. The one all residents loathe. and hope never comes back Congratulations

Driving into Private Wiapio was a classic and he is luckey he didnt get shot at for doing it.

nice manuver Bluecollar... and even better at urging others to lie and disreguard safety and honesty......

Oh by they way last month you must have missed the story where 2 died and 2 more were injured when they lost control fo their jeep on a " forbidden or closed road" .

Please dear reader consider this author, Blur collar and his attitude.... and dont follow suit. He is totaly wrong as are his suggestions

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

>>They just do not want to be responsible for the damage to the vehicle or to you in the event you have a wreck on these dangerous roads.

Well, yeah, exactly, bluecollartraveler. And this a reason to disregard the restrictions, why? What does it matter if the rental agent winks at you? This is just an employee, not the person you'll be dealing with when you are called to pay for any and all damage to the car.

The recent Mauna Kea fatal crash was in a Dollar 4WD.

(No worries, katieling, this was ABOVE the Visitor Center, on the stretch where only Harper's allows its rentals). So whoever is the beneficiary of that driver will owe Dollar for a vehicle and will not receive any insurance benefits from auto insurance for the fatality, because Dollar forbids taking its rentals on the Summit road.

Excellent advice to recommend to others to risk that situation because it's "a blast."

Even those who own their own 4WD and go to Waipi'o can only drive to the beach, not back in the valley. That's trespassing and has the residents up in arms to where no visitors are welcome these days.

The tour guides are locals and have permission to cross the private land, thus allowing people to see Waipi'o without overly taxing those who own land there. And that's why you should take a tour or be content with the beautiful scenic lookout from up top.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is an Alamo 4WD allowed to go to Mauna Kea visitor center .

KamaainaK, I've been reading the posts here and know that there is no way we can get up to the Mauna Kea.

Thanks so much for all the local advice.