We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bicycling in Hilo?

Pennsylvania
1 post
Save Topic
Bicycling in Hilo?

Is bicycling in the HIo area popular? If so where can they be rented and what are typical rates.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bicycling in Hilo?

there are a few rental places listed in the book. Use the online yellow pages and zip code 97620 and call them up ...

these are sport and mountain bike rentals.

For transportation around town they are not popular, nor are the roads designed to have enough shoulder to let you bicycle without slowing down traffic. Drivers are not watching for bikes either.

It rains in torrents here and without notice. Streets are prone to flooding. Could that be why you don't see many locals doing it?

If you want it for touring, best to transport your bike by vehicle to where you plan to ride. I would imagine the bike shops have the info on all the best rides.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bicycling in Hilo?

Oarsman,

Not really. There are people who bike in Hilo of course, but the weather and the roads are not conducive to safe and frequent biking. I would caution visitors on the east side of the island to be careful as there are far fewer bikes on the road than on the west side, where the training for Ironman has introduced and educated more drivers on proper road sharing. On the east side in a torrential down pour one would be nearly invisible on a bike, no matter how much retro reflective yellow gear worn. The narrowness of the roads and the unfamiliarity of drivers regarding bikers present other safety concerns. However, on a nice sunny day (which Hilo DOES have) there are a couple places that used to rent bikes, KK might be able to offer more current info.

The ones I know about are:

Mid-Pac Wheels

Hilo Bike Hub

Da Kine Bike Shop

There are more on the Kona side and some receive great reviews in this forum. Search the BI forum for bicycle and one should be able to find some positive experiences.

Good luck and happy travels!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bicycling in Hilo?

Oops I was replying while KK was.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bicycling in Hilo?

echolynch,

your post said in detail just what I was thinking.

Yes, today is sunny!

The last TEN days I think the gods turned on the tap and walked away.

I don't know any better places. You couldn't pay me to bike here, lol.

Online yellow pages and citysearch are a great way to find businesses that aren't reviewed here.

I don't have time to do the legwork for everyone by looking up phone numbers, would rather encourage people to do the same search I would have to run.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bicycling in Hilo?

hate to say it but bicycling in Hilo or Kona..... neither safe nor popular.... narrow roads, crazy drivers... high accident rate.... no way

the majority of biking gets done for 2 weeks in october in Kohala for iron man. All the tour companies that offered tours have gone out of business..... get a car be safe and proactive

6. Re: Bicycling in Hilo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, August 24, 2009