We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ziplines on the big island

Which Hawi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
ziplines on the big island

My 14 year old son and his friend want to do the most challenging zipline on the big island. Last year we did the Zip Isle and it was way too lightweight for them.

4 replies to this topic
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,062 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ziplines on the big island

I don't think any of the Big Island ziplines aim to be super challenging. They seem to aim for feeling safe and user friendly.

One was closed because someone was killed when a tower collapsed. It was probably the most challenging, but it wasn't safe. Anyhow, it's not open. Someone here wrote that the Honomu area zip was boring.

There are two in North Kohala, again, I think they are meant to be scenic but not ultra challenging, but you can call around.

Be aware that the State of Hawai'i neither regulates nor inspects ziplines and it may not be the smartest thing to seek out the one with the most thrills.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ziplines on the big island

I don't know about challenging, but I've been on two zipline tours. The Big Island Eco Adventures in Hawi and the Akaka Falls zip. Much preferred the BIEA. Very professional operation and in beautiful rainforest. Akaka Falls was boring because most of the zips were over farmland. The final zip was great, but it didn't make up for the other zips.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ziplines on the big island

Thanks very much for your feedback. We will go with BIEA.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12,824 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ziplines on the big island

BIEA is supposedly opening up one in Kona around now...ask about that one and which is more thrilling.

Reply to: ziplines on the big island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hawi