We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying at Captain Cook instead of Kailua-Kona

Which Captain Cook hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
staying at Captain Cook instead of Kailua-Kona

Hi...planning late Dec trip to big island...not too thrilled with renting a condo in Kailua-Kona as it seems fairly busy and we'd like to have someplace to stay that is a little more secluded...however, don't want to be totally isolated either...we are planning on driving around the island quite a bit (we actually like drive trips) and don't have a real interest in staying in Hilo for volcano although we'd like to see the lava flows....my question is, if we found a rental in the Captain Cook area, does the town have someplace to pick up groceries, etc. or would we have to do major planning ahead to pick up supplies for dinner in Kona before heading back to our place in Captain cook....also, if we DO rent in Kailua Kona and find an oceanfront condo, will be still hear traffic on Ali Dr?..that's my biggest concern...we found a cottage five miles south of Kailua that is right off the road...even though front faces ocean, I'm afraid I'll still hear traffic noise behind me...am I being silly?...thanks, Ana -- ps, I've read the posts about not kayaking in captain cook and don't worry, have no intention....

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying at Captain Cook instead of Kailua-Kona

Be careful about "Captain Cook" since I have seen numerous vacation rentals on web sites claiming to be in Captain Cook but they actually were in South Kona. There is a supermarket in Kealakekua, just a few miles South of Captain Cook, and there are four restaurants in the area, but that's it. In addition, it rains a lot there and it's the most voggy area on the West side. Rent an ocean front condo that does not have its bedroom on the Alii Drive side and you will have all the privacy you want.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying at Captain Cook instead of Kailua-Kona

Yep find exact map location before you book that rental. If really far down hill or up hill or way south of Captain Cook then your drive is gonna be really long if you are going to Kona allot. BTW late afternoon rush hour south into Captain Cook becomes a parking lot so keep that in mind.

A couple of days in that area might be nice if you want to spend some time at Two Step, Place of Refuge, Painted Church, etc. Manago's Hotel has good basic meals or 3rd floor balcony rooms are a bargain if you just want a place to crash and shower (but def. avoid front older building, too noisy).

Edited: 9:52 pm, October 27, 2010
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying at Captain Cook instead of Kailua-Kona

Just some drive time info --

Monday I left mid-Kona (Henry St intersection of highway) and was in Kealakekua in 20 minutes. It was just before 4 pm. Traffic was down to 5 mph in the first stretch in Kona, but just that part. I was expecting rush hour traffic but once I got out of town past Keauhou it was 55 mph. Maybe I missed it.

It would be just a bit farther to Captain Cook.

There was no sunshine, but that particular day wasn't sunny anywhere, unusual weather.

We have rented in rural places around Honaunau and there can be noise from barking dogs and roosters. Depends on who the neighbors are.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: staying at Captain Cook instead of Kailua-Kona

Actually, the town of Captain Cook has Choicemart, which is a pretty decent little grocery, as well as a couple small restaurants. As mentioned earlier, there are some people renting down in Kona Paradise or even further south that refer to themselves as being in "Captain Cook" and bypassing the fact that they might be 20-30 minutes further south. Many rentals in Captain Cook may refer to themselves as being in Kealakekua (probably due to name recognition of the bay, which is actually a Captain Cook address). As mentioned earlier, the rentals in Captain Cook can have their own sounds... dogs, roosters, coquis if you're above the highway... they'll just be more "rural" sounds.

Rush hour traffic south of Keauhou has really improved since the opening of the bypass.

Colorado
Level Contributor
241 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: staying at Captain Cook instead of Kailua-Kona

thanks all for your advise...I'll keep it all in mind while I decide....Ana

6. Re: staying at Captain Cook instead of Kailua-Kona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:45 am, April 27, 2011