We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent a kayak to go to Captain Cook

Albany, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
rent a kayak to go to Captain Cook

My husband and I will be on the Big Island for a 7 day vacation on Feb 19th. I have read so much about the fabulous snorkeling at the Captain Cook Monument. I also have read that one way to do go is to rent a kayak (saw KonaBoys site) and going out to Captain Cook ourselves. We like this idea because we really do not like snorkel boat tours.

We are advanced snorkelers; have all our own equipment; and know how to handle a kayak.

My questions:

CAN we enter and kayak there? I've recently read that there is a movement to stop kayakers from going in at the site to protect it and I want to respect that.

Is Captain Cook so worth going to that we should take a snorkel tour? What company would you recommend that is eco-responsible and isn't just a commercial, 45-minute drinking cruise?

Are there other sites we could kayak to for snorkeling? I have the "Hawaii Snorkeling" book, but it really does not talk about kayaking. We are staying at the Hilton Waikiloa and will have a rental car (not 4-wheel drive).

Do we need rubber-soled boots for our feet (dive boots that we can wear inside our fins - we only have soft boots) because of the lava rock? We have only snorkeled off sand and dealt with the coral rock in Bonaire, where we found sand channels.

Thank you for your help. We are so excited about our trip and looking forward to seeing and experiencing Hawaii for the first time.

Missouri
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: rent a kayak to go to Captain Cook

Dan,

So this isn't "law" yet? WOW! How sad! Thanks for the update on the delay.

I think many visitors are just uninformed, and if they knew what they were doing to the coral, they would be more responsible. But, not many want to take the time to learn, or they rent from vendors that could care less about education.

Mahalo,

Lisa

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: rent a kayak to go to Captain Cook

Nurselisa

You catch on good.....Thats the problem in a nut shell

uncaring people who rent, to un informed and inexperienced visitors.

The concept that the local folks are a bunch of caring people is not quite the case. If the place is ever to be saved it needs to be made part of the National Parks;staffed with professional rangers and taken totaly out of the control of local politicians .

Hawaii has demonstrated time and time again that it is inept at protecting anything.. All the jewels really Volcanoes, , Haleakala, Place oF Refuge, Koloko, North Hawaian Islands, Pearl Harbor... the top scenic and historical sites in the state are there only because of the National Park supervision and control...

Cupertino...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: rent a kayak to go to Captain Cook

Hi I'm new to this forum and honestly I was planning on getting a permit and kayak to Captain Cook in the hope of seeing dolphins and snorkel there before I read all the posts here regarding how disruptive kayaking was to the dolphins (and also posts about miserable lives of captive dolphins). Thank you for enlightening tourists like me.

I am a little confused about the permit - If only 10 kayaks are allowed in the bay per day, wouldn't the damage be a lot smaller? Or does the regulation only limit general public, but still allow "guided kayak tours"? (Meaning there are more than 10 kayaks a day?) That really wouldn't help the issue. (I know there are still boats and rafts taking people to snorkel at Capt Cook, but the question above is regarding kayak tours)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,978 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: rent a kayak to go to Captain Cook

There are guided tours, and there are kayakers who don't moor, who drift and snorkel. Ten a day is just for landing by individual kayakers.

Thank you so much for educating yourself. :)

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,978 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: rent a kayak to go to Captain Cook

P.S. I'm not close enough to that area to have seen if the permit law has changed the thronging. Maybe someone who went on a tour recently can comment.

I understand your desire to kayak, and I hope you will be able to do so and give dolphins a wide berth and manage not to scrape on the coral.

16. Re: rent a kayak to go to Captain Cook

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 20, 2010