We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Manago

Adirondacks
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Manago

Anyone have any info on Hotel Manago? We are considering staying there for a few nights.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Manago

It's a small and old family hotel catering mostly to transients, so don't expect a vacation rental-kind of place. What you save on the room rate you will lose on gas, you will be at least 30 minutes from Kona. (Double that during rush hour.)

PS. They serve awesome pork chops in their restaurant though.

too far inland
Level Contributor
101 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Manago

There is truth to the above. We stayed there three nights since I was trying to save money. The restaraunt has great food, the view from the room was great for me, I watched a lot of sunsets from there, the rooms are very clean, and they have a lovely little garden in the middle. That being said, we missed having a tv for after dark hours (early in Hawaii), it was noisy when people went by your room, and it is far away from Kona. Worse during any commuting time since traffic backs up. It is more a like staying at a Motel 6 than a resort so be forewarned, especially since it is right on the road. There are things I liked about staying there but you need to know what to expect and make your own decision.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Manago

picture a 1930 depression era hotel in downtown.... old wood...Reminds me of the classic rescue mission ambiance... The drive to anywhere will wear thin real fast...the area is very non touristic...and run down....

Motel 6 will seem like the Hilton.... its also in the VOG belt

Adirondacks
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Manago

hmmmm. Thank you all for your input. Now we just need to make a decision. We don't usually like to stay a resort-type hotels - just need a clean place to sleep. Is it noisy at night or just during the day?

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Manago

its smack dab ON the only main hiway north and south...its set back about 15 ft from the road... the Fire and police/ambulance are across the street and down.... Do you like chickens..roosters...they get up early... As do locals because the drive in the morning into kona can take almost 2 hours.. And after 3 pm going south from Kona another up to 2 hours

And I can 100% guarrantee you,....the Manago is about as far removed from being a resort or even a tourist motel....

You want cheap.... how about the Kona Tiki, on the ocean, under 70 a night with a pool.... walk to Kona.

also on a road... but Alii is nt anywhere as busy...and the ocean is the only noise you will hear

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Manago

It is an interesting place and I think everyone has summed it up honestly... When I was pregnant I craved a few of their wonderful comfort food dishes.. It is a cheap clean place to hang your hat for a night if you are transitioning, but for a few nights... What type of budget are you talking (and time of year).

Adirondacks
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Manago

We'll be going in about 3 weeks (beginning of November.) It's not so much the budget, just wanting to experience different types of places. We'll be staying at the Royal Kona for 2 nights and at the Volcano Retreat B&B for another two. That leaves us 3 more nights on the Big Island. We typically are early-to-bed people, not much for night life, and like to sit outside with our coffee early in the morning and then get going.

Maybe 3 nights of Manago Hotel would be a bit much? Any other suggestions?

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Manago

With 7 nights on the island I would not want to move more than once. I think staying 2 nights near the volcano is ideal. I would add the 3 nights to my Royal Kona Resort stay (they may give you a deal for the extra nights) OR get a condo in Kona for all 5 nights. So much time is lost in moving.. even if you are a light packer there is transition time and with only 7 nights to see such a big island your time is valuable.

Southeast US
Level Contributor
181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Manago

We've stayed there several times when we just have a night or two. For longer stays, I prefer a condo. It is like a time warp, but the rooms are clean and inexpensive. If you want a full-service hotel, this is definitely not it. If you just want a place to sleep, and plan to be out and about all day, then you might like it. We always stayed in the back section and were not bothered with road noise. I enjoy the distant ocean view from the rooms; ask for top floor. We enjoyed breakfast at the restaurant. Vog was not an issue when we were there.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,191 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Manago

I stayed there for two nights on my first trip to the island, following guide book descriptions.

We stayed in the Japanese tatami room, because DH loves a good furo. I've read in the reviews that the Japanese room has thinner walls ... but it ought to have the same exterior walls.

Anyway, I barely slept from the all night roosters and the barking dogs. (had the same issue with dogs and roosters staying in Honaunau; this is typical of rural non-resort Hawai'i)

When I say barking dogs, people keep packs of hunting dogs and when they start howling all the dogs around howl. They howl if a siren goes off, and this is by the fire station.

So I would say this place requires earplugs if you are at all noise sensitive.

Our room was to the back and twelve years ago there was not much road traffic, but now the traffic there is heavy, and there will be an early commute. People start work at 7 on many shifts. I expect by 5 am there will be lots of traffic.

Looking back on our first trip, that wasn't a good choice for us. The little cottage halfway down from Honaunau where we stayed the first week was a piece of heaven for us. So we liked the area, but at Manago there was noise and no privacy, and not being local or even residents at that time, we did not get warm and fuzzy treatment ... that may have changed in 12 years. There are several positive reviews on the aloha.

But do bear in mind that just because locals love a place and always stay there, doesn't mean you will be embraced. You may feel like outsiders looking in at the local society. I am not saying anyone is unfriendly, but you are not a "regular."

It's true about the vog. It's bad there, even when Kailua-Kona is clear. The views are not there, or the sun, and it can feel dreary. Probably better as we move towards winter though.