We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

california
1 post
Save Topic
Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

Kealakekua Bay Bed and Breakfast is truely the best place to saty I checked them all out! the price can not be beaten the place is really walking distance! there are others that say walking distance but they aren't they are like 2 miles up hill and I mean straight up hill!! I admire what Kealakekua Bay bed and breakfast is doing for the environment and they commitment to customer service!!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

readers need to know that this area has no visitor services like restauraunts and sights except for the view of the bay... tours of the bay leave 15 miles ( 40 min drive ) north. and is a long drive to stores, beaches and recreation...

IF... you enjoy an alternative life style, like new out of the way places or own a tye dye shirt you wear regulary.... you will enjoy the area

If you are looking for a hawaii vacation...you will be dissapointed/

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

HD is right, there really is nothing there but the bay and the drive to anywhere will include driving uphill on a curvy and basically one lane Napoopoo Road to the highway. Once there, you are still at least 30 minutes from Kailua-Kona.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

I havent stayed there but I have spent a week in Honaunau on two separate vacations. The area has a lot to offer if you want to feel away from everything and just soak up the atmosphere, which we did.

It is a long way away from the center of things and there isn't a whole lot to do in the water if you are conscientious about leaving the dolphins alone. We found ourselves driving north to get in the water.

The dining options were really limited. We used to go into town to Under the Palms (now gone) for lunch, or eat at the Aloha Angel Cafe.

We stayed there during the winter and the water was rough at Two Step and the rocky beach at Kealakekua, so as a beginning level snorkeler I was frustrated.

Different people want different things from their Hawaiian vacation. Dan, I'm not sure one needs a current tie dye shirt. But then I've worn tie dye in yesteryear, so maybe I qualify ... ? ;-)

The nice part about staying there was we had a week where we went to the same places multiple times and felt like we had settled in. Because we were planning to move here eventually, we were looking for that rather than trying to see all the sights.

It's not a very good base for touring the island, other than South Kona and VNP. When we stayed there the traffic between Captain Cook and Kailua-Kona was not a "crawl" as it has become, so it was very easy to spin into town. Not the case any more.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

I looked at their website ... have seen that house before.

BEAUTIFUL grounds. Looks like a great place to kick back.

On the negative side, they list swimming with dolphins as an activity, showing they are either behind the times in understanding the situation here or that they don't care and are exploiting the dolphins as an attraction. They are one of several places that do so.

Before I could recommend them I would have to see a change in their website acknowledging that dolphins are to be seen and given their space, and are not swimming companions.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

swimming with the dolphins is an extremely destructuive and non environmental act.... It is akin to clubbing harp seals......

People who promote this are considered low lifes by locals,and Hawiians gave the death penalty in the past for swimming with dolphins..........Ok !

We as a community are trying to put these scum-bags out of business.........

.you as a visitor... we need your help do not patronize any company person, or business that promotes this evil activity.. your $$$ are important... spend them wisely...please

unless they change... I would urge all visitors to avoid Kealakekua Bay B&B. as it ethics and morals are very lacking..............it is anything but an environmental steward....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

For some info on "what the issue is" wrt swimming with dolphins see the Snokeling inside page

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29217-c7522/Island-O…

There is a very long forum post I wrote that has the offical federal guidelines on approaching dolphins, etc. The TA URL is too long to include but I posted it 8/8/07 and just bumped it up. It's called "kayaking and swimming with dolphins what's the issue"

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

Aloha, I love the Kealakekua and Captain Cook area. In fact we have some land there and we are going to build a little place, so I should say, "oh never go there, stay away" ;o) so it does not go the way of Kailua-Kona.

Napoopoo Road is very windy and on one side it just drops off so you do need to be very careful when driving day and night. It is a beautiful area, with eclectic residents including artists, farmers (coffee, plumeria, Mac nuts) and many business owners. A sleepy community with one major grocery store, a few little places to eat, some interesting shops and galleries. You would have a very laid back time of it.

Kealakekua Bay itself needs to be protected and nurtured back to its former glory. I have a 25 year history with the BI and I remember when there was a real beach at Kealakekua Bay, when very few boats came and when there were few if any kayaks. Visitors have been very hard on this Bay and the life within. Please when you go treat it like the jewel it is. Ware a shirt to protect yourself from the sun and not sunscreen, don't steep on the coral, leave the ocean animals alone and enjoy them with your eyes.

hawaii
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

Aloha Everyone!

Thanks so much for replying to Kelly's email. My name is Emily I am the Innkeeper at Kealakekua Bay Bed and Breakfast, I would like to clear this up. I too am very upset that the former Innkeepers had advertised swimming with the dolphins on our website the owners of the Bed and Breakfast have asked our web designer to take that off a long time ago. Our web designer did so at the time so why it is still there I do not know but it will be gone my Monday.

We the staff and the owners take pride in doing everything we can to be great stewards of the aina. We have be a Green B& B for 3 years we serving locally farmed organic food, we work to lessen our carbon foot print, I concider the source everytime I shop I buy as much locally as possible. Every year my staff and I raise money for local family to enjoy the holidays which the owners match, we are hosting a biodiesel workshop, we donate time and money to many different local nonprofits, we donate to local schools and the list goes on.

It would be conciderate of someone giving negative feed back to mabey pick up the phone and call before you write hateful things and mabey think about the families we employ before you tell people to stop coming here. Had I recieved a call when this was posted I would have had the chance to ask our web desinger why that is still on there or how it got back on.

Mahalo & Aloha,

Emily

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

While I certainly would not want to pass judgment, and especially not since I don't know this B&B, it's hard to believe that nobody (owners/employees) have checked the web site in three years.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kealakekua BayBed and Breakfast

Aloha, As a former web person I can tell you that you can remove a "page" or update it and when you return to change something else it is possible to have it revert back. AKA a bug.

I have also known "owners" of web site who never check their site, not everyone embraces computers the way many of us do.

The owner of Kealakekua Bay Bed and Breakfast seems very sincere and I will check out the web site next week and stop by when I am in the area next.