We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

Which Teton Village hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
937 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

My husband, myself and our two boys ages 16 and 12 will are taking a road trip this summer and are flying into Denver for a few days and will drive to Jackson Hole. What are some things to do and see in Jackson Hole. Also, how far is Yellowstone and would you recommend staying in Jackson Hole or in Yellowstone. Are there any tours you can recommend for Jackson Hole, Yellowstone or Grand Teton. We do not know the area at all and am very confused trying to get this itinerary and it's only the second stop. Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,850 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

Just outside of Jackson is Grand Teton National Park, plan on 2 days visiting that area staying in Jackson or inside the park. Yellowstone is close on the map, but will take you 2+ hours to get inside the park. Either stay inside Yellowstone park or in West Yellowstone. Visit www.nps.gov/yell for more info.

Per your Denver post...

Day 1 arrive Denver. Stay in Lodo.

Day 2 Walk around the downtown area, maybe visit Elitch Gardens Amusement park. Rockies Game

Day 3 Rocky Mtn National park all day. Stay in Estes Park or drive to Laramie WY to get a head start on driving to Jackson.

Day 4 Drive to Jackson. Visit Lander WY (Sinks Canyon State Park), Dubois WY (National Bighorn Sheep Center) and then on to Jackson.

Day 5 Tetons all day. Maybe a horseback ride or float trip on the Snake River (very mellow). Hiking trails are all over the place.

Day 6 Tetons and Jackson day

Day 7 Drive to Yellowstone. If you can get lodging inside of the park, stay near Old Faithful, if not, then get a place in West Yellowstone.

Day 8 Another Yellowstone day

Day 9 Another Yellowstone day

Where do you go next? Do you return to Denver?

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
937 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

I just showed my husband your response and it really looks like it will work for us. After Yellowstone we are not heading back to Denver, but will move on to Idaho as our next stop. I see you have a few days to do Yellowstone. We were planning one day, is that not enough time and what will we miss if we only stay for the one day, rather than a longer time. Again, I really have no idea of what to expect, so everyone's help really means a lot. Thank you.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,850 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

You really do need to spend at least 2+ days in Yellowstone, it is a huge place. In one day you can see the geysers including Old Faithful. You need another day to see the Canyon area including the falls and Hayden Valley where all the animals hang out. You need a 3rd day to visit the rest of the park. Look at www.nps.gov/yell to see all there is in Yellowstone.

Yellowstone is the premier National Park in our country and should be visited for more than a day!

I would cut back on Denver and Tetons to spend 3+ days in Yellowstone.

From Yellowstone on to Idaho you would exit the park via West Yellowstone.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
937 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

thank you. We will have to take that into account and see where we should cut back on. We really do not have time contraints, but we have so many places to fit in. Are there tours in Yellowstone? I am going to check out the website you gave me.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,850 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

You don't really need a tour in Yellowstone, but yes there are tours. I would just research a bit on the website, see what looks fun and drive yourself.

If you can give us your entire plan... we can help you with times in each place.

Enjoy.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
937 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

Once we get everything together and I start researching more, I will post the itinerary and look foward to any help. Would you recommend staying in Yosemite? I see the Ahwahnee Hotel which looks really nice, but it is not available? Any other hotels you could recommend where there would not be so much driving to get into the park?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,850 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

I prefer to stay inside National Parks, but if lodging is not available, I find the closest place to the park. I am a National Park junkie, so I like to be as close as possible.

I have not been to Yosemite since I was a kid... I would post on the TA Yosemite forum to get some excellent info.

Post again when you have a plan and we can all help you with ideas!!!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

YNP is truly incredible and consider it more a wilderness experience than a "park". Strongly urge you to plan on 3 full days, possible 4, to really see what it offers. The boys will be enthralled (I have 3 sons, trust me!).

Here are two Inside Pages that will be helpful:

For wildlife viewing:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60999-c96653/Yellows…

For packing:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c100586/Wyomin…

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

Jackson Hole is too far in distance and time to use as a base for YNP.

As newbies, I'd suggest Canyon, Old Faithful and Lake as the best lodging locations. OF is fine, but not central except to certain geyser/springs activities/walks. But, lots of tour buses and people.

With 3 - 4 days, you don't really "need" a tour, though they can be helpful for an overview. My view is, drive yourselves, thus maximizing flexibility, so you can come and go as you choose. Or, as the wildlife chooses :). In YNP, you simply drive from one sight to another, and they can be quite close. Go with the flow, ask what people are viewing with their scopes, don't be shy about asking if you can look through them. Don't fear backtracking, sights change all the time.

Re: Yosemite, perhaps you have posted on that TA Forum. Not to intimidate you, but the Valley is very, very crowded, so rental bikes are a nice way to see the sights. To limit Valley traffic, the free buses are provided making circular routes, but also are crowded. Do drive up to the Tuolomne Meadows. Hiking is fantastic throughout the park.

10. Re: Jackson Hole/Yellowstone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, October 21, 2009