We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Grade Road going west

maryland
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Red Grade Road going west

Hi-- are there any locals familiar with driving the Red Grade Road. I like windy mountain roads, and my sister said it is hands down the most beautiful road she's been on. We have a minivan (3 kids), and we'll travel in mid July -- so how well is the road maintained? Where does it start and end?

Thanx!

Sheridan, wy
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red Grade Road going west

Red Grade road is a gravel road that gets a moderate amount of traffic, which means that at times it can be a little rough. You can make it in that vehicle, but don't be surprised if it is rougher than you might be accustomed to.As for beauty, any part of the Big Horns are nice. I wouldn't say that it is any prettier than US 16 over the southern Bid Horns. Do stop in Sheridan, it's a special town.

Northern Wisconsin
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Red Grade Road going west

Wow! Talk about a flashback! I was vacationing in Wyoming in July of 1967 or '68. Friends who lived in Sheridan insisted we had to experience the 'Red Grade'....we'd never forget it. I guess they were right.

They cautioned us not to try to go UP the Red Grade, saying it would have been too hard on the engine of our car. But, they recommended a longer route that took us to the top, where we could come back down on the Red Grade.

We packed a picknic basket and took the trip at a leisurely pace. It was truly one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. But, about a third of the way down the Red Grade we hit a really bad chuck-hole. Our driver didn't realize he'd ripped open the power brake and steering lines until it was almost too late. He jammed on the emergency brake, and we spun to a stop against a guardrail that would have made any Hollywood director proud.

I agree with your sister, it is an awesome trip, and I hope you and the kids can go. But - take lots of water, bring lots of Dramamine, and make sure your driver isn't so absorbed in the scenery that they aren't watching the road. Enjoy!

3. Re: Red Grade Road going west

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sheridan