We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellowstone trip in June 2014

Monterey Park...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Yellowstone trip in June 2014

Hello,

We are finally planning a summer time in YNP and GTNP, never been to these 2 parks, We love outdoor activities, sightseeing…. We'll be flying in to SLC June 1 to fly out June 13 or 14.

plan are: hiking, Horse riding, a Lama tour, etc.

I would appreciate any advise , which tour company to choose , any other activities ,

Family of 4, husband and 2 sons (14 & 17 yrs old) any activities best fit them.

the plan for now is to rent a car and stay a night in SLC and drive to YNP next day.

-stay 3-4 days in YNP

-stay 3 days in GTNP,

Drive back to SLC to catch fly back to Los Angeles.

So excited for this trip! Please let me know any suggestions on where to stay in SLC, YNP & GTNP at reasonable rates.

Thank you.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,490 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellowstone trip in June 2014

All the lodging within Yellowstone is thru the concessionaire, Xanterra. Here is there website. http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

Doubtless all levels of accommodations will show full, but if you stay on it you will be able to pick up lodging. Don't get discouraged when everything looks full the first time you look at it. Take some time to go thru the website and look at the different levels of rooms in each location. There are cancellations all the time as Xanterra has a very good cancellation policy. They will charge your card for one night for each lodging area you stay in.

There is of course, plenty of hiking in Yellowstone as well as seeing the major sights. There are many Ranger led hikes as well which are always fun. (and free,lol!)

Pam

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellowstone trip in June 2014

When do you arrive in SLC? If you arrive mid afternoon you could drive a few hrs to Pocatello or Idaho falls

For par visit time?...target about 4 days for yellowstone and 2 for grand Teton.

Grand tetn, lodging is in Jackson.

For grand Teton because park lodging can be difficult it's hard to plan an itinerary until lodging is set. Outside of the park lodging are in west Yellowstone, Gardiner, Cooke city, and Cody. There is a place to the south of Yell, and north of GT called Flagg ranch.

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellowstone trip in June 2014

You can find lots of helpful planning information on the YNP website, including an interactive park map, which will help you visualize the layout of the park: www.nps.gov/yell Also, at the upper right of this page is a list of TQ's for GTNP that are well worth reading. If you go to the YNP forum page here on TA, there is another list of trip-related topics there. The one about "info for newbies" is especially informative, as is the one that describes all the park lodging.

Have fun planning - and remember to "keep it simple". The parks are a wonderful experience, especially when seen at a relaxed pace, allowing for the unexpected.

Enjoy your trip!

Monterey Park...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellowstone trip in June 2014

Thank you for your help!

Tampa
Level Contributor
114 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellowstone trip in June 2014

We've been to the area three times, and each time we've stayed in Teton Village, just south of the entrance to GTNP. There are lots of condos available there, which are great for families. From there, it's a short drive into the town of Jackson, and it's also a fairly short drive into GTNP, where you'll find lots of fabulous hiking and wildlife. You could easily spend your whole trip there. But YNP is fabulous, too. Very different from GTNP. It's a pretty long drive from Teton Village to YNP, although, on each of our trips, we've done YNP as a day trip. Those day trips have included hiking in YNP each time, in addition to visits to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, Old Faithful, and some other major attractions. You can find lots of places to stay at www.jhrl.com that will give your family plenty of space.

Powhatan, Virginia
Level Contributor
421 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellowstone trip in June 2014

I agree that your first choice is to get accommodations IN YNP. If not possible, hit West Yellowstone. MANY options there and it is easy in/out of the park. Hotels, cabins, rental homes, etc.

As for GTNP, I would suggest you try Signal Mountain Lodge or Jackson Lake Lodge. They are IN the park. Signal is right on the lake.

Take an afternoon to visit the town of Jackson. It is worth your time.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
763 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellowstone trip in June 2014

I do not think West Yellowstone is a good choice. I work in Teton Village but would never recommend it for folks wanting to see GTNP let alone YNP over multiple days. Moose Wilson road is great but the best of GTNP uis North of Moose.

As hikers I would flip flop and do 4 days for GTNP and 3 days for YNP. One day in YNP I'd hike Avalanche Peak. In GTNP I'd do Lake of the Crags, Avalanche Canyon, and perhaps Bearpaw/Trappers Lakes. Cascade Canyon is great but the most popular hiking trail in Wyoming.

Monterey Park...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellowstone trip in June 2014

Hi -- I have reserved 4 nights in Yellowstone NP. I need some advise if I should fly in SLC airport or Bozeman airport from LAX, and pick up a rental car there.

June 3rd -- arrive to airport --undecided

June 4th -- 1 night at OF Snow Lodge

June 5th & 6th -- 2 nights at Canyon lodge

June 7th -- 1 night at Roosevelt Roughrider cabin

June 8th & 9th - 2 nights optional (west Yellowstone or Jackson)

June 10th -- return to LAX

I would appreciated if you can give an itinerary during my stay in Yellowstone please. I do have 2 extra nights but not sure if I should stay in West Yellowstone or Jackson for these 2 nights, where do you recommend for lodging and what are the must see activities?

thanks

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellowstone trip in June 2014

I would pick Jackson over West Yellowstone for the last two nights. We did a trip last August with our two kids (12 and 14) and stayed in Teton Village with one night up in Yellowstone, so we spent 2 days in Yellowstone and the rest in Jackson/Grand Teton. We much preferred out time in Jackson/Grand Teton to Yellowstone, which we found to be extremely crowded and hot. The accommodations in Teton Village are also much nicer than in Yellowstone. We did some really fun activities in the Jackson area - biking from Moose to Jenny Lake, whitewater rafting on the Snake River, the Jackson Hole Rodeo, kayaking on Jackson Lake, cascade canyon hike in Grand Teton, the tram to the top of Jackson Hole resort, and our favorite: a full day rock climbing class out in the elk refuge.

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
289 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellowstone trip in June 2014

I would pick Jackson over West Yellowstone for the last two nights. We did a trip last August with our two kids (12 and 14) and stayed in Teton Village with one night up in Yellowstone, so we spent 2 days in Yellowstone and the rest in Jackson/Grand Teton. We much preferred out time in Jackson/Grand Teton to Yellowstone, which we found to be extremely crowded and hot. The accommodations in Teton Village are also much nicer than in Yellowstone. We did some really fun activities in the Jackson area - biking from Moose to Jenny Lake, whitewater rafting on the Snake River, the Jackson Hole Rodeo, kayaking on Jackson Lake, cascade canyon hike in Grand Teton, the tram to the top of Jackson Hole resort, and our favorite: a full day rock climbing class out in the elk refuge.