We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to Yellowstone and GTNP

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
43 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
trip to Yellowstone and GTNP

Starting to plan the trip for first week in September. Is that a good time there? Also what's a good itinerary for 8 days? We like to hike, just the two of us, moderate hiking. Should we stay at more than one location?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,330 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to Yellowstone and GTNP

First week of September should be nice weather and less crowds. Try to get in park lodging- split between OF and Canyon or Lake area- here is the link to article about lodging in and around the park.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28973-c189012/Wyomin…

The park roads are laid out like a giant figure 8- here is a link to most popular sights to visit in the park-

http://yellowstone.net/intro/top-10/

We don't hike so others will post with hiking info.

Enjoy your trip planning and let us know if you have more questions.

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
43 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to Yellowstone and GTNP

Thanks. I have most all nights booked, staying in Canyon area 3 nights. Would like to stay near OF for three nights. Is it really worth the extra money to stay in the park there, rather than in W. Yellowstone at three bear lodge? Is it about a 45 minute drive from W. Yellowstone to OF? If one night becomes available at OF Inn, and I later book another one, do they make you switch rooms?

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
589 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to Yellowstone and GTNP

Morning and evening in the geyser basin are priceless to me so I would try to get a room at Old Faithful. There is Old Faithful Lodge and Snow Lodge besides the Inn so keep checking for openings. Once you get your lodging, call Xanterra and they can combine your two separate nights in to one reservation so you don't have to move.

These are hikes I like:

Canyon area - Cascade Lake or Clear Lake, Mt Washburn

Old Faithful area - Fairy Falls and Mystic Falls

PA
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to Yellowstone and GTNP

The hike to Inspiration Point, overlooking Jenny Lake, in GTNP is a great one - goes past rapids in rocky stream, then to beautiful, tall 'Hidden Falls'... mountains rearing up on one side & Jenny Lake on the other. We took shuttle boat across the lake ($12 each, round trip) but you can hike around lake also.

Have fun!

5. Re: trip to Yellowstone and GTNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 09, 2014