We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help Needed

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help Needed

My wife and will be in Jackson May 5th through 10th. I am having a difficult time coming up with an itinerary and activities plan since I do not know what may be open during that part of the season. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We would love to take a one day trip to Yellowstone to view the geysers. I know the south entrance is closed and am willing to make the drive to the west entrance, even if it means getting up real early and getting back to Jackson late night.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help Needed

The drive to the West entrance is doable but a long day. ~3 hours to West Yellowstone and another hour to hour and half to Old Faithful. You would want to plan on at least two hours at Old Faithful. Would work much better if you could stay overnight at West Yellowstone.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help Needed

>I am having a difficult time coming up with an itinerary and activities plan

Me, too. Early May is shoulder season; there's not a lot going on. But it's a quiet, un-crowded time to visit GNTP, with a lot of elk on the move. Although elk and moose don't start calving until late May, you'll likely see some bison calves in early may. You can generally find the bison that time of year out on Antelope Flats, 6 miles north of Jackson. Early May is part of our spring and sometimes part of our winter. Although we seem to be having an early spring this year, be prepared for wintry weather here and in Yellowstone.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help Needed

Thanks Teton Bill, that is good to know. We particulary love the quiet uncrowded places and especially look forward to viewing the wildlife. I will definitly plan on spending time in the Antelope Flats area.

arnaudville
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help Needed

we would like to vacation in Wyoming this summer. please give us an itinerary for all the sites & cities to visit in a 10 to 12 day period

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help Needed

@ donnad389 - Hi! Although a lot of folks see all of Wyoming Posts, your post might be better viewed and responded to if you posted to Wyoming in general. You posted in Jackson, one town in the state.

When you repost, Its more helpful to let people know what your interests are as well (culture/hiking/driving/wildlife/towns or remote locations etc), because its very difficult, if not impossible to create an itinerary for the entire state, especially given your short time frame. Many people spend your amount of time in YNP and GTNP itself. Wyoming is huge and, in many cases, it can take hours to get from one spot to another so your time will be wasted without a somewhat loose idea of what your interests are.

Have you taken a look at some ideas already? Let us know.

6. Re: Itinerary Help Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 05, 2014