We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic route from Jackson Hole to Santa Fe

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Most scenic route from Jackson Hole to Santa Fe

We are traveling for 2 weeks from Dallas, TX to Jackson Hole Wyoming. What is our most scenic route there and back? We will stay in Jackson Hole first, then Santa Fe, the two cities where we will spend a majority of our time.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,282 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic route from Jackson Hole to Santa Fe

I'd take I25 to WY, then I80 and up to Jackson. On the way back, head south going through the center of Colorado, possibly Glenwood Springs, Aspen, Salida, Durango are places to consider. It will take 2 full days to get from Jackson to Santa Fe, been there done that! Enter your destinations into Google maps, that helps with route info as well as times.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,786 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic route from Jackson Hole to Santa Fe

We like this general route (similar to what Casa suggests): south from Jackson on 189, then 412 to Mountain View; then on to Vernal; south to Durango (not going through Grand Junction); then on to Santa Fe.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic route from Jackson Hole to Santa Fe

Several contenders. It really depends how many days you have to get from A to B. Route could include Flaming Gorge, Dinosaur NM, Colorado NM, Grand Mesa, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Million Dollar Highway, Pagosa Springs. Alternatively you can swap out Pagosa Springs and instead head south through Aztec to Jemez perhaps catching the Bisti Badlands and some of the nearby Indian ruins along the way.

Really there isn't a bad option in the bunch. I'd also consider further west through Salt Lake and Park City, Moab, Monument Valley... OR further east through Aspen Great Sand Dunes, etc. Do one route one way and one the other... problem is there are three "main" routes... east, central, west so to speak.

Enjoy.

Edited: 10:16 pm, April 09, 2012
4. Re: Most scenic route from Jackson Hole to Santa Fe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:39 am, April 11, 2013