We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pack Trip Advuce? Outfitters?

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pack Trip Advuce? Outfitters?

I am planning a 2-3 day pack trip with my family. I am talking with Beartooth as well as Trophy Mountain andYellowstone Mountain Guides in Montana. Does anyone have any experience with there outfitters? If so I'd love to hear about it.

Also has anyone been on a trip like this? We'll be a family ages 11-50 with mixed riding levels (novice to intermediate - no one who has no horse experience)> We are interested in getting out and seeing more of the wilderness and this seemed like a good way to do it . (That and my kids ride and are horse crazy). Any input?

Thanks

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pack Trip Advuce? Outfitters?

Where and when are you planning to go on your pack trip?

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pack Trip Advuce? Outfitters?

Overall we are going from Jackson Hole to Yellowstone to Cody to South Dakota starting 8/24 and flying back Labor Day. We are going take the pack trip near the beginning of the trip in the Jackson area or starting 8/27 in Yellowstone area.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pack Trip Advuce? Outfitters?

I know Dustin Child at Trophy Mountain, and I can highly recommend him. He and his family are genuinely good people. I don't know Yellowstone Mountain Guides. What is the full name of "Beartooth"; several outfitters use this term.

I take several long pack trips each summer into wilderness areas, including the Absaroka-Beartooth, North Abaroka, Teton, Washakie and Bridger. If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll try to help.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pack Trip Advuce? Outfitters?

Thanks so much.

The other outfitter is the Abrsaroka Beartooth Outfitters.

I appreciate the word about Trophy Mountain as their trip best fits our timeline and budget but they were unable to furnish me with references and that made me nervous.

Thanks again.

Diane

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pack Trip Advuce? Outfitters?

Sarah and Cameron Mayo operate A-B Outfitters and I've heard good things about them. Their trips are mostly into the western part of the A-B, since they're in Big Timber. That's really high country and beautiful scenery. If you have Netflix, rent a movie called Sweetwater, which is about the historical sheepherding that until recently was done on high pasture in the western A-B. You may not be interested in sheepherding, but the film shows some great scenery in the A-B.

6. Re: Pack Trip Advuce? Outfitters?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:40 am, June 18, 2013