We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

Conley, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

Hi Everyone,

I am so excited to come to Jackson Hole in the Winter. We are going to stay 2 nights in Jackson @ Wyoming Inn then 3 nights in Yellowstone Park doing Trail of the Wolf Tour and then return for 2 more days in Jackson at Quality Inn 49ers Hotel. I have never ridden a snowmobile, I live in Georgia so we get little snow. I am wondering if anyone who has done this tour can provide me with some help with a few questions I have?

1) Is driving a snowmobile easy? I will be driving a snowmobile with my Dad on the back.

2) How many layers of clothing? I was thinking thermal underwear, then windpants then ski pants then Skimobile Suit? For Top it would be thermal top then windshirt then parka then top of Skimobile Suit? I know I need a gaiter for my face and neck too.

We will be staying at Western Cabins on both of our nights at Old Faithful since the lodge part is booked. I looked at alot of pictures of the cabins and I will be ok since I know it will be like an old motel.

Any other suggestions about Mammoth Park Hotel or anything else please let me know.

Thanks,

Daryl

3)

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,840 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

Yes, driving a snowmobile is something you'll pick up pretty quickly. Once you get used to the throttle and get some practice steering, it's really pretty easy. What gets challenging is if you go off the road to drive in deep snow, but you'll not be doing that.

I'd suggest that you check with the outfitter about clothes. Generally, they provide you with a really warm, heavy outer layer, along with boots, gloves and a helmet, and will have suggestions on what's best to wear underneath.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,330 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

Yes, I agree to check with the snowmobile company, but I do not think you will need the parka or the ski pants under the suit. Are your thermal underwear wick-away (good) as opposed to cotton (bad)? The snowmobile suits are very warm. You are right that you will need a gaiter or possibly a face mask. Do you have thin gloves like glove liners? You should take them too because you might need to take your big gloves off (like to blow your nose etc) and it's nice to have your hands covered.

BTW, as TB says, they are pretty easy to run. The worst thing is not to give yourself enough room between yourself and the person in front of you. It's easy to rear end.

Pack the little packages of Kleenex and put one in your snowsuit pocket.

Pam

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

Did you check into whether they can provide warm boots? That is important. You'll need them regardless for walking around OF. If they do provide them, and you feel the shoes you are bringing are fine for everything else, you'll still want something grippy on them b/c it can be icy on some of the walks. You can buy Yaktrax to go over your current "winter boots" to save money.

For clothing, good to be proactive, but I think you are layering yourself a little much. The suits they provide are meant to be warm and somewhat wind resistant if not 100%. Long underwear and some type of wicking fleece shirt/pants would be fine but no additional ski pants or ski jackets will be necessary. It will inhibit your movement too. Bring them all the same b/c you'll need them after you give your suits up and when you are walking around the geyers. You'll want to do that. Also, its good to bring a lot of warm clothes b/c you have a little bit of a walk to the cabins so you'll want to be warm. Think good socks, good hat and gloves or mittens rated for below 20 for the nighttime back at OF.

I think you'll have great fun. Any chance your Dad will be able to switch off w/you and drive too? Any reaso why you doubled up?

Edited: 9:29 pm, January 08, 2012
Conley, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

Hi BlueBirdDay,

Yes they do provide boots with the tour from Old Faithful Snow Lodge. He did not want to drive. He is 73 but active he just returned from his 7th continent Antarctica in December. He will probably want to drive after we get started. He is a big picture taker so he wants to be available to take pictures as we snowmobile through Yellowstone.

Conley, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

Hi D0bby,

I am going to buy non cotton thermal underwear top and bottoms. Going shopping today. I have isotoner driving gloves and then I am going to wear provided gloves for snowmobiling, is that good enough? Thanks for the tip about the Kleenex tissues we have alot of the small packs will put them in my pockets for sure. Any suggestions for what brand of thermal underwear is best?.

Conley, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

Hi TetonBill,

I will definitely check with the people at Old Faithful Snow Lodge. I have a pair of boots that are above the ankle I have to find as I don't get a chance to wear them in Georgia that much.

Miami,FL
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

You came to the right place . , after spending hours in this forum , finally I realize how dress for winter sports .

Im doing two tours ( long way 120 miles)

My clothes

bottom:

Polypropylene underwear

fleece pant & snowmobile pants ( tour will provide it )

upper:

polypropylene underwear

fleece jacket

long-sleeves polyester shirt

snowmobile suit ( tour will provided it )

Shoes :

good waterproof , breathable , insulates -40 boots with great grip winter boots

soaks:

Polypropylene soaks

wool soaks

Head and hands

hat

balaclava

a good pair of waterproof , breathable gloves

foot and hands warmers

Also I got a salomon small backpack , to pack water , some extra soaks , another fleece layer and maybe a sandwich

The cheapest place with good stuff I found was . sierratradingpost . com

Good luck .

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

Hi Conley

You and your Dad are in for an absolute treat. We did Trail otw late Jan last year with our three teens and it was just incredible. Concur with others that no need for jackets or ski pants under the snowmobile suit, just light but warm fleece layer and thermal underwear.Make sure there is no gap between top of jacket and helmet ; thin balaclava under helmet is an absolute must. Photographic opportunities were amazing, even when the snowmobile was moving. They can get pretty bumpy over ruts and can buck around a bit, but they are huge fun. We have travelled a lot and our experience in Yellowstone was up there with the best.

You will need a water proof daypack to carry your lunch and valuables (we were carrying passports etc) with you on the snowmobile. The pack will be out in the weather with you. We did it from OF and the van carrying all the luggage didn't, arrive at Mammoth til after dinner,meaning we had no clothes but the snowmobile suit which was a bit uncomfortable. If room in your pack, might be good to throw in some comfy pants and sweater so you're not relying on the van for a change of clothes.

Enjoy!

Glen Rock, NJ
Level Contributor
14 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

Should you do it? Absolutely! Unforgettable experience.

Dress? As much as you can, but most importantly wind stopping layers. Ski clothes will be sufficient.

Boots? My winter boots did not do the job! So you are better off renting boots or getting toe warmers. My friends were riding in snowboarding boots and they were fine.

Is it difficult? Hmmm... Lets compare to skiing, if you ride just groomed slopes it is "easy" but if you jump in a park it is not so easy. You can get used to riding and riding fast very quickly , but quick turns and riding up the hill or down might be intimidating and or scary. Some in our party turned over and mind you this is a multi hundred pounds machine!

10. Re: Jackson Hole Trip (January 28-February 4th, 2012)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:24 am, March 02, 2013